Your Advising Partnership

Advising at Evergreen is a partnership among faculty, academic advisors, and you, the student.

Who is my academic advisor?

You may use any of Evergreen's advising resources at any stage of your planning.

Students at Evergreen don't have an assigned academic advisor.  Some students form a rapport with a specific advisor and meet regularly with that person; other students like to get a variety of perspectives from different advisors or different offices.  Whichever your choice, we encourage you to make use of the many kinds of expertise available to you from Evergreen's advising resources, starting as you plan your first enrollment and continuing on through graduation.

What other advising resources are available to me?

  • Faculty:  Faculty can provide mentoring and guidance in your academic work, and help you explore advanced study in their disciplines.
  • Access Services for Students with Disabilities:  Access provides services and accommodations to students with disabilities.
  • Career Development and Planning Center:  Whether your post-graduation plan is to go to grad school or start your career--or if you're still figuring it out--Career Development will help you prepare to move into life after Evergreen.
  • First Peoples Multicultural Advising Services:  First Peoples provides cultural programs, educational and personal support, and community resources.  Services are open to all students and are designed to meet the needs of our multicultural campus community.
  • TRiO/KEY Student Services:  These publicly-funded programs provide enhanced educational support to students who meet certain criteria (see their websites for further information). 

What is my role in the advising partnership?

  • To take responsibility for your academic planning by gathering information to make thoughtful decisions about your academic and career choices.
  • To plan for and register for classes as early as possible.
  • To review information provided by the college, such as the Catalog.
  • To be flexible in your planning; for example, by considering more than one program to achieve your academic goals.
  • To come to Advising if you are confused and don't know what to do.
  • To seek help before a problem becomes a crisis.
  • To be open about your study habits, school work and progress, and other aspects of your life that affect your academic success.

What is the advisor's role in this partnership?

Although faculty and staff advisors have different kinds of expertise, you can expect them all to:

  • Listen to problems and concerns;
  • Provide accurate information;
  • Support you in making well-thought-out academic choices;
  • Suggest options for you to consider;
  • Direct you to other appropriate sources of information or support as needed;
  • Assist you in thinking about how you will meet the Expectations of an Evergreen Graduate;
  • Explain college policies and procedures.

When should I see an advisor?

As often as you like, but at least annually prior to registration to discuss your academic choices.

Seeing an advisor sooner rather than later will mean less stress for you.  If you come in a few weeks before registration starts to talk about your options, you'll have time for a deeper and more meaningful conversation.  Also, seeing an advisor in the early stages of any problems you might be having means you can deal with them before they affect your entire quarter.

Who is responsible for monitoring my progress toward a degree?

It is your responsibility. Information about your academic history, your current registration and student account is available to you 24/7 on your account.

Can my family talk to my academic advisor?

Yes, but remember that the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) will prevent advisors from discussing any information about your educational record without a release from you. Advisors can always answer general questions about Evergreen policies and procedures and can make appropriate referrals, but if you want your faculty or a staff advisor to discuss your progress or a certain situation with your family, you should meet with the faculty member or advisor to clarify the situation, and sign a release form.