Assistive Technology (AT) Lab
What is Assistive Technology or “AT”
Assistive technology is software or other technology that assists people with disabilities in accessing computers and information technologies.
A. Where we are
- The AT Lab is located on the Library main floor, Rm. 2318 next to the Language Lab.
- We provide a variety of AT and user support and training – both for students who already use AT, and those who would like to learn to use AT to access and support their academic work.
B. What we have available
Three computers with scanners, on adjustable height tables loaded with the following software.
- J.A.W.S. -- Screen Reader
- Kurzweil 3000 -- TTS and Executive Function support
- Dragon NaturallySpeaking -- Speech Recognition, STT
- Inspiration -- Executive Function support, Visual and Organizational
- ZoomText -- Screen Magnifier
- Learning Ally -- Daisy Reader
As well as CCTV, Ergonomic Keyboards, Alternative Mice, Keyboards with Large Letters and Dragon Certified Headsets for dictation.
Types of Assistive Technology
Screen Reader or Text-to-Speech (TTS)
- a software application that interprets what is being displayed on the screen (headings, text, hyperlinks and accessible photos), then presents it to the user with text-to-speech.
Speech Recognition or Speech-to-Text (STT)
- translates spoken words into text. It is also known as "automatic speech recognition", "speech to text", or just "STT" Used to dictate text or control a computer.
Executive Function Support Software
- Assists with Organizational Tasks, Time Management, Planning and Mind Mapping, Visual Learning and Thinking
- Software application that visually magnifies everything on a computer screen.
- Software or Hardware used for listing to daisy formatted books. Used for students with Visual Impairment or Learning Disabilities.
I believe technology is a powerful tool and should be accessible to everyone. Please come see me or contact me anytime. I look forward to assisting you with your AT needs.
Coordinator, Assistive Technology Services
The Evergreen State College
Email: Tracy Tuzzolino
Office - Library 2314