Student Activities

RSO Policies

Religious Activities Policy

  1. Funding Limitations: Service and Activities Fees (S&A Fees) can be used to support the activities and events of a religious or spiritual RSO, including activities and events that involve religious worship, exercise, and instruction. However, no other state or college funds, beyond S&A funds, can be used to co-sponsor or fund such activities. The reason is that the Constitution of the State of Washington is clear on the limitations on public funding of religious activities. Article 1, Section 11 provides that no public money or property shall be appropriated for, or applied to, any religious worship, exercise or instruction, or the support of any religious establishment. The prohibition applies to indirect as well as direct expenditures of public money for religious worship, exercise or instruction.

    The Washington Supreme Court suggests that religious activities will fall within the categories of worship, exercise, or instruction, unless they are taught in a completely objective manner; have no effect on religious beliefs; are not slanted towards any particular theological or religious point of view; do not indoctrinate anyone; and do not enter the realm of belief or faith. In other words, RSOs who desire state or college funding beyond S&A Fees may do so if their activity is to speak about religion, but they may not seek funding outside of S&A Fees to speak for religion. Special Revenue Funds or other monies fundraised by the RSO, will be considered S&A Fees for the purpose of the Religious Activities Policy.
  2. Facility Limitations: Facilities can, however, be made available for religious worship, exercise, and instruction as long as the group is charged a rate consistent with its status (RSO, off-campus group). Use of facilities for religious purposes can be reviewed and limited if such activity is determined to be dominating the facility (i.e., excluding others from using the facility).

Partisan Political Activities

The State of Washington has placed certain limitations on the use of public facilities and funds for partisan political activities.

Below is a summary of those limitations:

  1. First priority for the use of campus resources shall be given to regularly scheduled college activities.
  2. Evergreen facilities can be used for political presentations only when the sponsoring organization pays the full rental cost of the facility (as opposed to the student or academic department rate). If open to the general public, the program must be co-sponsored by a student organization, or a college academic/administrative department.
  3. Forums or debates may be scheduled but are also subject to paying full facilities rental rates.
  4. No person shall solicit contributions on college property for partisan political uses, except in instances where this limitation conflicts with applicable federal law regarding interference with the mail.
  5. Public areas outside of college buildings may be used for partisan political purposes, except for the solicitation of funds, provided the normal business of the college is not disrupted and entrances and exits from buildings are not blocked.
  6. No college employee may use or authorize the use of any college facility, directly or indirectly, for purposes of assisting a campaign for election of any person to office, or for the promotion of, or opposition to any ballot proposition. This prohibition includes student organizations.
  7. College facilities or services may not be used to establish or maintain offices or headquarters for political candidate campaigns or ballot propositions.
  8. Student organizations may invite candidates for political offices to speak on campus as long as there is an effort to present a range of political views over a reasonable period of time and the full rental cost of the facility is paid.

Prohibition on the Use of State Funds for Partisan Political Activities
The use of public funds, including S&A fees, for directly or indirectly making any contribution or expenditure of anything of value in connection with a local, state or federal election is prohibited. Any contribution to a political candidate or political endorsement is included in the prohibition.

Please review this memo on Student Political Issues for more details:

Student Political Issues
By W. Howard Fischer, Senior Assistant Attorney General
Rhonda Coats, State Board for Community & Technical Colleges, and
Mari Kruger, Pierce College
October 18, 2001 - WSSSCW

Student Activities Non-Discrimination and All-Comers Policy

Student Activities interprets The Evergreen State College Non-discrimination Policy, as it relates to a Registered Student Organization (RSO), to mandate acceptance of all comers. In practice this means RSOs must allow any currently enrolled Evergreen State College student to participate, become a member, or seek leadership positions in the organization, regardless of their status or beliefs.

Changing Your Organization's Name

An RSOs name may be changed by calling and publicizing a special meeting to change the name of your organization. You must have agreement from your constituents to change the name. Written documentation of the organization's decision to change the name, and a list of those in attendance, should be submitted to your advisor after the meeting where this was determined.

Any name change in the organization goes into place at the beginning of the next quarter. Remember that changing a name can require a significant amount of outreach to educate the campus community on your new name. You may wish to consider only changing the name during the annual re-registration process or at the end of Spring Quarter.

Posting & Banner Policy

Flyers, posters or other materials may not be attached to glass doors of college buildings. Flyers must always include the group name and contact information, date and location of event. Any flyers without this information are subject to removal.

Banners can be hung over the third floor library railing for the posting of college-sponsored information, meetings and events. These banners must not exceed seven feet in length and three feet in width. Posting time is for no more than two weeks, and the priority is for college-sponsored events. They must be removed in a timely manner after the event. BLUE painters tape, available from the Student Activities front desk must be used on the library railing. Remember this is a shared space; hanging horizontal banners leaves less space for other banners. Banners hung that do not meet the above criteria may be removed. Banners may also be hung in select locations in the CAB, please see your advisor for more information. Facilities can hang a banner over the doors to the Library Building, or in other hard to reach locations. To have Facilities hang and remove a banner will cost approximately $75-$100 depending on location and size of the banner.

Olympia City Code, Section 09.40.100 prohibits the posting of handbills on publicly owned structures in Olympia. Those cited for violation of this article are subject to a $1,000.00 fine and restitution costs. RSOs are to use lawful posting methods ONLY.

Tabling Policy

Student Activities schedules tables in the Library Building 2nd & 4th floor and the CAB for RSOs to do outreach, advertise, and conduct bake sales. Please review the full Tabling Policy for more details. To schedule, see the Student Activities front desk. Additionally, there are many public locations such as Red Square that, when otherwise not scheduled, are available for use.

Red Square Use Policy

RSOs planning to sponsor an event on Red Square using amplified sound are required to observe the following guidelines when reserving the Square:

  1. Amplified events on Red Square are allowed only during college-recognized governance hours. These are Mondays, 3pm to 5pm and Wednesdays from 1pm to 5pm. Consideration will also be given to amplified events scheduled on Monday, Wednesday and Friday during the Noon to 1pm hour whenever there will be minimal impact on classes scheduled in buildings adjacent to Red Square. Prior approval must be received from the Space Scheduling Office for events during these times.
  2. All amplified events on the Square must have monitors and internal sound checks conducted to ensure sound quality and consistency.
  3. Amplified events will not be held on Red Square on Tuesdays and Thursdays without the prior approval of the Space Scheduling Office.

Sidewalk Chalk Policy

Using sidewalk chalk is another way of advertising your Registered Student Organization (RSO). Student Activities has sidewalk chalk available for checkout and can also provide students with buckets and other materials to assist in the cleaning process. If chalk is used on sidewalks around the Evergreen campus, the following guidelines must be followed. Chalking that does not follow the guidelines are subject to removal at the expense of the RSO.

Chalking Guidelines

  1. Chalk is limited to standard non-toxic, water-soluble “sidewalk chalk.” Other types of sidewalk marking, including liquid or spray-on chalk or sidewalk paint is not allowed. Using these substances make the markings difficult to remove and more permanent.
  2. Sidewalk chalk advertising is limited to RSOs for the promotion of the group, meetings or events. The RSO is required to identify their name in or adjacent to the chalking. Chalking is not permitted by non-college sponsored organizations or individuals. When chalking for a date-specific event or activity, chalk should be removed by the next business day following the event or activity.
  3. Chalking is for exterior sidewalks only and is not permitted on walls or any interior areas. Chalking should only take place on areas that can be rained on; areas under trees, overhangs or rooflines should be avoided. Under no circumstances is chalking permitted on organic materials such as trees, grass, or soil.
  4. Chalking is limited to remain on sidewalks for no more than five days. The RSO is responsible for cleaning the chalk after five days if the chalking is not otherwise cleaned by rain or other acts of nature. Chalking that remains after five days will be cleaned by Facilities at the RSOs expense.

Food Event Policies and Procedures

Please reference the campus Food Policy.

Film and Video Showing: Public Performance

A public performance license must be obtained when showing a film or video during non-classroom use. This requirement applies regardless of an admission fee charged to attendees or whether the institution or organization is commercial or non-profit, or whether a federal or state agency is involved. Neither the rental nor the purchase of a videocassette generally carries with it the right to show the tape outside of the home.

All film rentals and performance licenses take between four and six weeks to obtain. After your RSO have decided to show a film, please speak to your advisor to acquire film rights. Keep in mind that film rights generally cost between $50 and $600 for commercial films. Special films are available in the library collection and the President's Diversity library with rights already purchased. On some occasions we have been able to secure rights for local or smaller films by contacting the filmmaker directly. Please see your advisor if you have additional questions. See additional information from the MPAA regarding Public Performance.

Facility Use, Expectations & Responsibility

As the coordinator and sponsor of an event, you are responsible for the condition of the facility that is being used. If damage occurs, even by the hands of others during a student group sponsored event, your organization will be held responsible. It is unlawful for an RSO to serve as a proxy for outside organizations. This means that an RSO cannot program or reserve space on behalf of that outside group in order to take advantage of the RSO status for use of college facilities. It is permitted to partner with outside organizations as long as the decision making process is contained within the RSO and consistent with the Mission of the RSO. Permission granted to an RSO for the use of college facilities carries the express understanding that the individual or organization assumes full responsibility for any loss or damage resulting from the use of college facilities. See Coordinator's Expectation for more information.


At least 4 weeks in advance of the start date of the raffle, the Coordinator must complete a Request for Sales or Fund Raising form, submit it to your advisor and make an appointment with the Student Activities Assistant Director. After your paperwork is in order, we must notify Campus Police of intent to hold raffle at least five days before the event. Washington State Gambling Commission has prepared a handout on raffles that Coordinators are encouraged to read. 

In order to conduct a raffle at The Evergreen State College campus without having to obtain a license, the following conditions must apply (in accordance with RCW 9.46.0315, RCW 9.46.0321, and WAC 230-04-075):

  • The RSO sponsoring the raffle is nonprofit and has a charitable, educational, political, social, fraternal, or athletic purpose.
  • Raffles are not held more than twice each calendar year.
  • No discounts for quantity of tickets purchased. Each ticket must be the same price.
  • RSO must have been organized and operating for at least 12 months prior to offering the raffle. You must be able to demonstrate that the RSO has made progress toward accomplishing it's mission and stated purpose during the 12 months before the raffle.
  • The RSO must be able to document a minimum of 15 voting members of the RSO prior to the raffle.
  • Gross raffle revenues do not exceed $5,000 per calendar year.
  • Only members of the RSOs operate and manage the raffle.
  • Revenues, after expenses, go toward the purpose of the organization. This means an RSO cannot serve as a proxy for an off-campus organization.
  • Records are maintained for one year from the date of the raffle and include gross revenue, expenses, and revenue information.
  • All participants must be 18 years old or older.
  • The cost of the ticket must not exceed $25.00 per ticket.
  • No free or complimentary tickets.
  • Tickets MUST BE consecutively numbered.
  • Prizes must be owned by the organization prior to the drawing.
  • RSO members cannot be compensated for selling tickets or managing the raffle.
  • RSO members may purchase tickets; however, members cannot be required to purchase.
  • Published Materials must clearly be available indicating:
    • Time/Date/Location of Drawing
    • Prizes to be awarded
    • Name of sponsoring organization
    • Does the winner need to be present to win? Yes / No