Requesting funding / Receiving approval for Travel
RSOs occasionally need to travel to conferences and opportunities that are off-campus, or at one of the campus programs not at the Olympia campus. All travel requires prior approval of the S&A Board, regardless of whether the Board is directly funding the Travel. The following criteria must be met for requesting Travel:
- All travel funded with S&A funds must be reviewed and approved by the S&A Board and meet S&A Board guidelines.
- All travel requests must be for travel within the United States or the Canadian Province of British Columbia.
- Travel should be consistent with the Mission Statement of the RSO requesting travel funds.
- Those traveling must be currently enrolled students during the time of travel.
- The Evergreen student body must be given information about the opportunity to participate.
- Groups may also request of the S&A Board a transfer from their Goods and Services to the Travel area of the RSO budget.
- When considering a travel purpose and destination, consider that more students can typically participate in local travel by college vans than in opportunities that require air travel.
- While traveling, the RSO and it's travelers are seen to represent not only the organization, but Student Activities and The Evergreen State College as a whole. Stay safe and make good choices. Additional information can also be found in the Finance section.
RSOs may reserve a vehicle for travel only if the S&A Board has approved the specific trip within their budget. Vehicles may be checked out from 8am to 4pm Monday through Friday, so at times it is required to check out keys for a vehicle a day in advance if the vehicle is needed on a weekend. All travel requests must be submitted to the RSO advisor a minimum of five business days prior to the travel taking place. The Motor Pool is located in the NW corner of the Maintenance Yard on Driftwood Road adjacent to the College. Drivers are limited to faculty, staff and students who have a valid driver's license and an Evergreen vehicle use permit. Passengers are limited to faculty, staff, and registered students of The Evergreen State College. Many academic programs and groups use the college vans to travel, so it is advantageous to reserve in as far in advance as possible.
Any parking or moving citation received by an individual while operating a state, institution, or commercially rented vehicle is the sole responsibility of the individual cited. Any damage to a Motor Pool vehicle will automatically suspend the RSOs ability to travel until all fines and damage costs have been cleared.
A Washington State Travel Authority document must be prepared before the RSO can proceed to the Motor Pool to pick up the vehicle. Please see your advisor on how to complete a Travel Authority. RSOs are responsible for following all Motor Pool Policies. Please remember, a cancellation fee of $25 will be assessed for reservations canceled less than 24 hours in advance.
Evergreen Use Permit
All drivers of Evergreen vehicles must have an Evergreen Use Permit. Use Permits are valid for two years from the issue date:
- Read the Evergreen Motor Pool Polices and Procedures or view the Policy Slideshow.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the Motor Pool Policies and Procedures by successfully completing a quiz.
- Present a valid driver's license to the Motor Pool Coordinator and sign a Valid License to Drive and Driving Experience Statement indicating that they meet the driver requirements listed below.
- All Drivers and Passengers of Motor Pool vehicles must be listed on the Travel Authority for the trip.
Making Motor Pool Vehicle Reservations
Your advisor will make the final reservation. However, to obtain a price quote or check vehicle availability, please contact the Motor Pool with the following information:
- Departure date and time
- Return date and time
- Number of Passengers
Evergreen State College Motor Pool Vehicles
- Mid-Sized Cargo Van
- 11 or 12 Passenger Van
- Passenger School Bus including driver
State Motor Pool Vehicles
In the event of low inventory at the Evergreen Motor Pool, we can make reservations at the State Motor Pool in Lacey.
- Passenger Cars
- 7, 8 & 12 Passenger Van
- Mini & Maxi Cargo Van (Seats 2)
- Wheelchair accessible vans
Current information for State Motor Pool vehicles can be checked by referring to the Department of General Administration. Please remember that only The Evergreen State College Motor Pool can contact and make reservations with the State Motor Pool.