AthleticsHome

Solberg's 28 points gives ESC a convincing win over Corban

February 2, 2008

Salem, OR - Evergreen defeated Corban College 73-57 tonight in Salem, Oregon inside the C.E. Jeffers Sports Center. It was the first season sweep over Corban in the teams history. Evergreen defeated Corban in overtime at home in November.

For Corban, sophomore Emily Goette (Aumsville, Ore.) scored a team-high 17 points and grabbed five rebounds. Along with Goette, junior Kailey Bostwick (Medford, Ore.) added 15 points and senior Jessica Steigleman (Eugene, Ore.) registered 11 points and a team-high six rebounds. Junior Ashley Connell (Spokane, Wash.) chipped in with six points, while Bostwick handed out a game-high seven assists for the second straight night.

In the first half, Corban came out on fire and quickly built a five-point lead (10-5) after the opening 3:51 via a jumper by Bostwick.

Unfortunately for the Warriors, Evergreen used a 14-4 run over a span of 4:47 to secure a two-point lead (19-14) with 11:19 showing on the clock.

The visiting Geoducks built their lead to as much as 11 points (36-25) with 1:41 remaining before settling for a nine-point lead (36-27) at halftime.

In the second half, the host Warriors could not get any closer than six points (49-43) following a fast break jumper in the paint by Bostwick with 11:52 to go in the game. Relying on the duo of Jennifer Solberg (Sr. Franklin Pierce HS) and Joy White (Jr. Berkeley, CA), Evergreen built its lead to as much as 14 points (64-50) with 2:34 on the clock following a lay-up by Solberg.

The aforementioned duo combined to score 15 straight points for the visiting Geoducks over a span of nine minutes and 18 seconds. After a jumper by Molly Clark (Sr. Boise, ID) and a lay-up by Jeanette Owens, Solberg and White rounded out the scoring for Evergreen en route to securing the final margin of 16 points (73-57).

In the game, Corban recorded a season-high 20 assists as a team on 24 made field goals which betters last night's performance as the Warriors handed out a dime on 83.3% of its made shots.

Evergreen was led by Solberg, who scored a game, career and season's high 28 points on 11-for-16 shooting from the field to go along with a 2-for-3 performance from beyond the arc and a 4-for-5 showing at the free throw line. Along with Solberg, White and Rosalind Lee (Jr. Oakland, CA) added 11 points apiece while Lee registered a double-double with a game-high 12 rebounds.

Head coach Monica Heuer acknowledged the efforts of her teams defense. "This was a key game for us to stay in playoff contention. A big help was the way our defense held Steigleman to just 11 points tonight". Steigleman scored 20 points for Corban against ESC and sent the game into overtime.

Owens (Jr. Pasco HS), Kristi Auckland (Jr Cascade HS), Bonita Wilcox (Sr. Olympic HS) and Katie Beck (Sr. Nikiski, AK) were pointed out by Heuer as players that had outstanding defensive games against the Warriors. Auckland scored 9 points.

As a team, Corban shot 24-for-66 (36.4%) from the field including dismal 1-for-11 (9.1%) from behind the three-point line and 8-for-15 (53.3%) from the free throw line. On the other hand, Evergreen was 28-for-60 (46.7%) from the field that included performances of 4-for-13 (30.8%) from beyond the arc and 13-for-18 (72.2%) from the charity stripe.

With the loss, Corban falls to 8-16 overall, 4-10 in Cascade Collegiate Conference play. Meanwhile, Evergreen improves to 6-17 overall, 5-9 in CCC action.

The Geoducks host Northwest University Tuesday evening at 5:30 PM.

Box Score