A lost on final day at Arno Zoske Tournament

Senior Amanda Grayum taking a free kick for Evergreen.

August 31, 2003

by James J. Portune

Olympia, WA - Everyone knew it would happen, eventually. That The Evergreen State College Women's Soccer team would lose a game during the 2003 season. Not a lot of people, other than the opposing team, though it would happen today.

Sunday, the final day of the 2nd Annual Arno Zoske Soccer Tournament, with the tournament championship on the line, the Geoducks and the Pacific Lutheran Lutes took the field. Ninety minutes later, when the players, coaches, fans and officials left the field, PLU (2-0) had their second victory of the young season, having defeated Evergreen (1-1) 3-1. But, due to the tournament tie-breaking format, the Lutes took home the 2nd place trophy and Western Baptist was named the tournament championship.

Although both PLU and Western Baptist had identical 2-0 record, Western Baptist's shutout of Rocky Mountain (0-2), 3-0, on Saturday gave the Warriors an additional point, enabling them to nudge tournament championship away from the Lutes.

Initially it looked as though Evergreen might very well will their own tournament, when Tiffany Fenster (Seattle, WA/Roosevelt HS) scored the opening goal in the 13th minute. But a ricochet shot off Evergreen goalkeeper Carly Stewart's (Federal Way, WA/Kennedy HS) outstretched fingers and the right goal post, by PLU forward Alyssa Burleson, tied the score in the 21st minute.

"Carly played very well," said Arlene McMahon, head women's soccer coach. "She made some very big saves and showed that she will be a force to reckoned with in the conference."

Fourteen minutes into the 2nd period Maja Pederson, on an assist from Nicole Roeder, powered a shot past Stewart to put the Lutes ahead. The back breaker for Evergreen came in the 64th minute. Defending the penalty box as is her job, senior Amanda Grayum (Tenino, WA/River Ridge HS) was called for a foul and Burleson got her second goal of the day on a penalty kick.

Minutes earlier Grayum showed everyone watching why she was voted 2nd Team All-Conference last season. A deflecting save by Stewart gave PLU a wide open shot on goal. Seeing the ball rolling toward the goal line Grayum made a slide save to keep it crossing the line. Then, while still on her back, she brought the ball under control and cleared it from in-front of the net, averting what looked like a give-me goal for PLU. In true sportsmanship, fans for both teams applauded her for her effort and athleticism.

For the final thirty-minutes the Geoducks continued to attack PLU goals. The fourteen shot taken by Evergreen, identical to the Lutes shot count, indicates their desire to win. But soccer is a game of inches and today the inches were too many for the Geoducks.

"I was very proud of the girls today," McMahon emphasized. "They did not let down when they got behind or from the heat."

The next game on Evergreen Women's Soccer schedule is on Monday (Sep. 18) and Seattle University in Seattle, a week away.