Résumé Writers’ Checklist
- Is your name the largest text on the page (16-20 pt. type)?
- Is your contact information (address, phone, email) accurate and up-to-date?
- Is your email address professional in nature and does it contain your name, or at least your first initial and last name? (cute or quirky email addresses do not impress employers)
- Does the word "résumé" appear at the top of the page? (it shouldn't)
- Do the section headings stand out? (bolding/capping should be used)
- Are the margins too large? Too small? (minimal margins, including top and bottom are .75)
- Are the indentations even and consistent? (Microsoft formatting tools “paragraph-indentation” should be used to insure this)
- Is the font readable? (Times New Roman, Calibri, and other standard fonts work best. Use just one font throughout; do not mix fonts)
- Is the font size appropriate? (10, 11, or 12 point fonts are generally accepted for text, with 11, 12 or 14 point fonts for section headings)
- Is the layout appealing? (not too many font sizes/styles; consistency in formatting)
- Is each position description formatted the same way, with the information given in the same order each time? (for example: position title, employer name, city & state, and dates of employment)
- Are the jobs listed in reverse chronological order (most recent first)?
- Are the most important descriptions described more fully than lesser positions?
- If bullets are used, are they standard/conservative solid black dots or squares?
- If a bullet contains more than one line, does the second line begin directly under the first?
- Are there any spelling or typographical errors?
- Is there consistency in use of abbreviations, such as WA (Washington)?
- Do description phrases/statements begin with a variety of action verbs? Try not to repeat verbs and phrases even if similar tasks were performed in different jobs.
- Does the word "I" appear? (it can be used in the Objective, if necessary, but only there)
- Are pronouns eliminated? (they are seldom essential to meaning)
- Are phrases like "responsible for" and "duties included" eliminated?
- Are empty words like "various" and "numerous" eliminated?
- If there is a second page, are your name and "Page 2" on the bottom or top of the second page? (Use footer or header feature to insert this)
- Is the résumé printed on white, 24 lb. professional-quality paper, and the type in black ink?
For additional information and assistance on creating or enhancing your resume, visit the Career Development Center, Library 2100R, or contact us by phone, at 360-867-6193, or by e-mail at email@example.com.