Fall 2011 quarter
- Zahid Shariff political science, public administration
- Fields of Study
- cultural studies, philosophy and political science
- Preparatory for studies or careers in
- political science, anthropology, study of middle-east history/politics, cultural studies, and American foreign policy.
For this SOS, we will get a deeper understanding of Edward Said's Orientalism. This will mean getting acquainted with his important works in this area: (1) Orientalism, (2) Imperialism and Culture; (3) Covering Islam; (4) The Question of Palestine, and some of his relevant articles. In addition to these, we will also explore some of his major critiques.
Based on these core readings, which will be supplemented with seminars and films, the students will write (a) short papers and (b) develop a longer final project in which Said's concep(s) will be applied to particular settings.
- Advertised Schedule
- Periodical meetings -- at least once or twice a week -- will be scheduled after an intial meeting on the first day of quarter.
- Online Learning
- No Required Online Learning
- Greener Store
- Offered During
|July 19th, 2011||This offering has been cancelled.|
|April 18th, 2011||New SOS offered.|