Spring 2012 quarter
- Steven Scheuerell ecology, botany, plant pathology
- Fields of Study
- agriculture, ecology, environmental studies, field studies, geography, outdoor leadership and education and sustainability studies
- Preparatory for studies or careers in
- natural resource management, agriculture, forestry, land use planning, parks and recreation, and wilderness education.
This program is designed for students who have the independent drive to deepen their existing knowledge and/or work experience in a profession that works directly with the land. Students will do their independent learning by working with faculty to develop an individual course of study or by completing a previously arranged internship with an organization, agency, or business. This program will support a wide range of student learning goals from land-based professions such as farming, ranching, forestry, tideland aquaculture, landscape architecture, land-use planning, environmental/ecological/natural history studies, parks and conservation area management, and outdoor education and recreation.
Students will be expected to participate in weekly forums (both online and in person, depending on student project location) to share their experiences and compare the knowledge and skills needed to succeed in their chosen profession. Students present their independent learning and work collectively during a final multi-day symposium that will focus on the common issues and social values of working with the land given the different student learning experiences.
Student work over the quarter will include a written study proposal, submitting weekly learning progress reports, forum participation, self-evaluation of learning, final presentation and symposium participation.
- Campus Location
- Online Learning
- Hybrid Online Learning 25 - 49% Delivered Online
- Greener Store
- Internship Possibilities
- Internships focused on working with the land are appropriate. Internships must be prearranged by the student before the first day of class.
- Offered During
|April 26th, 2011||New offering added.|