Summer 2013 quarter
- Toska Olson sociology, gender studies , Kevin Rexroat
- Fields of Study
- media studies, sociology and writing
- Preparatory for studies or careers in
- social sciences, creative writing, screenwriting, education
This program explores childhood and adolescence through the lenses of sociology, film, and creative writing. We will deconstruct media messages about American culture with a special focus on gender, sexuality, race, and class, and we will learn to construct meaningful screenplays through story structure, character development, and story form. Our interdisciplinary approach will help creative writers use individuals’ social location to create engaging characters and stories. Social scientists and educators will gain critical understanding of an influential cultural element through screenwriting and media literacy skills.
Coursework will encompass in-class and online projects. The final assignment will integrate sociology and screenwriting.
Credit may be awarded in childhood sociology, creative writing, screenwriting, film analysis, and sociology of gender, sexuality, race, and class.
- Advertised Schedule
- 9a-3p Tue/Fri (Jun. 25 - Jul. 26) plus 4 hours per week of online work in lieu of class time.
- Campus Location
- Online Learning
- Hybrid Online Learning 25 - 49% Delivered Online
- Greener Store
- Offered During
|June 25th, 2013||Cancelled due to low enrollment.|