Summer 2013 quarter
- Martha Henderson geography, political ecology, science, nature and religion, eastern Mediterranean region
- Fields of Study
- agriculture, climate change, community studies, ecology, environmental studies, geography, land-use planning, marine science, political economy, political science and study abroad
As the largest island in the Caribbean, with the highest percentage of environmental scientists and engineers and a long-standing commitment to policies that promote environmental protection and sustainable development, Cuba is uniquely positioned to provide leadership in enlightened environmental policy and practice in our shared ecosystem. The rationale and potential for mutual collaboration between US and Cuban environmentalists in this vital and shared ecosystem is considerable.
This course will be joining Eco Cuba Network for its biannual research program on environmental protection and sustainable development in Cuba, which includes an opportunity for interchange with participants in the IX International Conference on Environment and Development hosted by the Cuban Ministry of Science, Technology and the Environment. Trip dates are 7/5/13-7/14/13. Course requires separate registration in April through Eco Cuba Network; please contact Gail Wootan at firstname.lastname@example.org if interested in this course.
For more information about the research program, please see http://www.ecocubanetwork.net/environmental-protection/.
For more information on the conference in Cuba and conference schedule: CITMA Conference (To read the site in English click on the British flag in the upper left area of the home page)
Students may choose to take this course for two credits or four credits. Two credit students will be required to complete reading assignments and virtual meetings in June prior to leaving for Cuba. Two credit students are required to submit their field notebooks with a reflective essay by July 29. Four credit students are required to complete reading assignments, short paper assignment and all virtual class meeting times prior to leaving for Cuba. Upon returning from Cuba, four credit students are required to submit a 15 page paper based on field and archival work by July 29. All students are required to write a short autobiography and short essay on their trip expectations. They must also submit a resume. Students will ‘meet’ in the virtual classroom. A Moodle site will be set up for virtual class meetings.
The cost of the Eco Cuba Network program, including flight from Cancun, Mexico is $2600. Students are responsible for purchasing airfare to Cancun.
- Round trip flight from Cancun or Miami
- Three or four star hotel accommodations (double room)
- 2 meals daily
- Conference fee
- Translation of scheduled program
- Transportation to scheduled events
- Scheduled program fees and speakers stipends
- Cuban visa and required Cuban health insurance
Fee does NOT include:
- Airfare to/from Cancun from home city
- Travel insurance (highly recommended!)
- Optional evening cultural activities
- Beverages, bottled water
- Tips, gratuities to Cuban guides, waiters, hotel staff, etc.
- Personal expenditures
Students may also choose to arrive early or stay late for personal travel. If enough students are interested, a service project after 7/14/13 may be organized.
NOTE: Students interested in this course must register through Eco Cuba Network separately sometime in April. Please contact Gail Wootan, Assistant Director of the Graduate Program on the Environment, at email@example.com if interested in this course.
- Advertised Schedule
- Friday, July 5 - Sunday, July 14 with virtual class meetings Monday, June 24 - Friday, June 28.
- Online Learning
- Hybrid Online Learning < 25% Delivered Online
- Greener Store
- Required Fees
- $2600 for tour plus airfare to Cancun; $500 nonrefundable deposit due May 6; remainder of fee due June 5.
- Study Abroad
- Cuba, 2 weeks, summer, approximately $3200
- Undergraduate Credit Option
- Requires faculty signature and letter of recommendation from undergraduate faculty.
- Offered During
- Day, Evening and Weekend