Spring 2013 quarter
- Sally Cloninger communications in film and television,digital arts
- Fields of Study
- communications, gender and women's studies, media arts and media studies
- Preparatory for studies or careers in
- media arts, humanities, social sciences and mass communications.
This program is designed primarily for students interested in exploring visual literacy, television production, performance and media criticism. Students will be introduced to both media deconstruction and media production skills through a series of lecture/screenings, workshops and design problems that focus primarily on collaborative multi-camera studio production. No prior media production experience is required.
We will take a critical, performative and historical approach as we examine and even emulate the production style and lessons from the early history of 20th century live television. Students will be expected to perform in front of as well as behind the camera and will explore the logistics and aesthetics of multi-camera direction and design. We will investigate the aesthetics and implications of live performance and multi-camera production for new media as well.
This program will also examine the politics of representation, i.e., who gets the camera, who appears on the screen, and who has the power. Therefore, students who choose to enroll should be vitally and sincerely interested in the issues and ideas concerning the representation of gender, race, ethnicity, class and sexual orientation in the media. Activities will include training in the CCAM, a multi-camera TV studio facility, instruction in basic performance and writing for television, and a survey of visual design principles. In addition to a series of studio exercises, students will complete a collaborative final project that combines media analysis, research, performance and production about broadcast content and ideology.
- Academic Website
- Online Learning
- Enhanced Online Learning
- Greener Store
- Schedule Details
- Week Ten: we will be working on Monday and Tuesday to prepare for final productions (this is in addition to Weds.-Fri. schedule)
- Required Fees
- $50 for HD recording media, studio supplies and materials
- Special Expenses
- Additional expenses for production materials (including costumes and props) may apply depending upon scope of individual and collaborative projects.
- May be offered again in
- Spring 2014
- Offered During
|October 4th, 2011||New offering added.|