Fall 2012 and Winter 2013 quarters
- Paula Schofield organic chemistry, polymer chemistry, biochemistry , Lydia McKinstry organic chemistry
- Fields of Study
- biochemistry and chemistry
- Preparatory for studies or careers in
- chemistry, biochemistry, industrial or pharmaceutical research, medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine, naturopathy, optometry and pharmacy.
- One year of college-level general chemistry required.
This upper-division chemistry program will develop and interrelate concepts in experimental (laboratory) organic chemistry and biochemistry. It will cover the chemistry material that is usually offered in Molecule to Organism. Throughout both quarters we will integrate topics in both subjects to gain an understanding of the structure-property relationship of synthetic and natural organic compounds. We will also examine the key chemical reactions of industrial processes as well as those reactions that are important to the metabolic processes of living systems.
There will be a significant laboratory component--students can expect to spend at least a full day in lab each week, maintain laboratory notebooks, write formal laboratory reports and give formal presentations of their work. Students will work collaboratively on laboratory and library research projects incorporating the theories and techniques of chemical synthesis and instrumental methods of chemical analysis. All laboratory work and approximately one half of the non-lecture time will be spent working in collaborative problem-solving groups. We also hope to attend a chemistry conference.
This is an intensive program. The subjects are complex, and the sophisticated understanding we expect to develop will require devoted attention and many hours of scheduled lab work each week. Each student will be expected to develop a sufficient basis of advanced conceptual knowledge and practical skills necessary for pursuing work in a chemistry-based discipline.
- Academic Website
- Online Learning
- Enhanced Online Learning
- Greener Store
- Upper Division Science Credit
- Upper division science credits will be awarded to students who successfully complete the program requirements.
- Offered During
|August 13th, 2012||Fee removed.|
|March 20th, 2012||Signature required for admission in fall quarter.|
|December 1st, 2011||This program accepts Sophomores in addition to Juniors-Seniors.|