Spring 2014 quarter
- Sally Cloninger communications in film and television,digital arts
- Fields of Study
- communications, gender and women's studies, media arts, media studies, moving image and theater
- Preparatory for studies or careers in
- media arts, performing arts, humanities, social sciences and mass communications.
Ready Camera One investigates the politics of representation. Therefore, students who choose to enroll should be vitally and sincerely interested in the issues and ideas concerning the representation of gender, race, ethnicity, class and sexual orientation in the mass media. Ready Camera One’s focus on gender and identity in American television will be explored in a research project called INTO FOCUS that will combine media research, critical writing, a visual essay, and an oral presentation.
This program is also designed for students interested in exploring visual literacy, television production, performance, and media criticism. Students will be introduced to both media deconstruction and media production skills through a series of lecture/screenings as well as workshops and design problems that focus primarily on collaborative multi-camera studio production. In addition to a series of studio exercises, students will complete a collaborative final project that combines media analysis, research, performance and production about broadcast content and ideology.
We will take a critical, performative and historical approach as we examine and even emulate the production style and lessons from the early history of 20th century live television as well as more contemporary models. Students will be expected to perform in front of as well as behind the camera and will explore the logistics and aesthetics of multi-camera direction and design. Activities will include training in the CCAM, a multi-camera TV studio facility, instruction in basic performance and writing for television, and an immersive production schedule that requires a professional attitude including perfect attendance and timeliness.
No prior media production experience is required. However, Ready Camera One is also an excellent opportunity for students who do have experience in the performing arts or media arts to explore intensive studio production and collaboration.
- Online Learning
- Enhanced Online Learning
- Greener Store
- Required Fees
- $50 for HD recording media, studio supplies and materials. Additional expenses for production materials (including costumes and props) may apply depending upon scope of individual and collaborative projects.
- Special Expenses
- Additional expenses for production materials (including costumes and props) may apply depending upon scope of individual and collaborative projects.
- May be offered again in
- Offered During
|March 4th, 2014||This program will no longer be offered.|