Spring 2014 quarter
- Carrie Margolin cognitive psychology
- Fields of Study
- Preparatory for studies or careers in
- psychology, education and social work.
Students will investigate theories and practices of psychologists to enhance their understanding of counseling, social services and the science of psychology. We will cover history and systems of psychology. Students will read original source literature from the major divisions of the field, including both classic and contemporary journal articles and books by well-known psychologists. Students will explore careers in psychology and the academic preparations necessary for these career choices. We will cover the typical activities of psychologists who work in academia, schools, counseling and clinical settings, social work agencies and applied research settings.
Among our studies will be ethical quandaries in psychology, including the ethics of human and animal experimentation. Library research skills, in particular the use of PsycInfo and Science and Social Science Citation Indexes, will be emphasized. Students will gain expertise in the technical writing style of the American Psychological Association (APA). The class format will include lectures, guest speakers, workshops, discussions, films and an optional field trip.
There's no better way to explore the range of activities and topics that psychology offers—and to learn of cutting edge research in the field—than to attend and participate in a convention of psychology professionals and students. To that end, students have the option of attending the annual convention of the Western Psychological Association, which is the western regional arm of the APA. This year's convention will be held in Portland, Oregon, on April 24-27, 2014.
- Campus Location
- Online Learning
- No Required Online Learning
- Greener Store
- Required Fees
- $233-$400 (approximate), depending upon the type of accommodations students require; this includes WPA membership/registration fees and four nights hotel at the convention site. Transportation and food are additional, and at student's own expense.
- Special Expenses
- Transportation and food at the WPA conference are additional, and at student's own expense.
- Offered During