Clean Energy Committee
The Clean Energy Committee supports the success of energy efficiency, renewable energy, and resource conservation at Evergreen. You can apply to this committee to fund projects through the Clean Energy Fund.
Students, staff, and faculty can apply for funding for sustainability projects through the Clean Energy Committee. The committee awards approximately $80,000 each school year.
Types of projects that are eligible for funding
- Research into renewable energy and conservation technologies that will contribute to advancement of sustainability practices and academics on campus
- Implementation of projects intended to save energy, produce electricity or conserve resources
- Demonstration and education projects that share sustainability strategies with the campus community
How to apply
- Have an idea to advance Evergreen's commitment to renewable energy, energy conservation, and/or sustainable practices.
- For students, meet with a Clean Energy Committee member to clarify your proposal. Come by our office in Student Activities (3rd floor of the CAB) or email email@example.com to make an appointment.
- Review the checklist (PDF) and guidelines (PDF).
- Apply for a grant.
- Attend your Hearing to present the final proposal to the committee. This is a time to show case sustainability in the project and for committee members to ask questions.
2016-17 funded projects include:
- A solar array on the Evergreen Tacoma campus building - $75,000
- An energy-efficient walk-in cooler unit for the Organic Farm - $1,200
- A public lecture series with Dr. Sanjay Mangala Gopal - $1,000
- CEC Hearing 5.16.18.pdf
- CEC Hearing 4_18_18.pdf
- CEC Hearing Agenda 2-28-18.pdf
- CEC Hearing Agenda 1-31-18.pdf
- CEC Hearing Agenda 12-6-17.pdf
- CEC Meeting Minutes 5.9.18.docx
- CEC Meeting Minutes 5.2.18.docx
- CEC Meeting Minutes 4.25.18.docx
- CEC Hearing Minutes 4.18.18.docx
- CEC Meeting Minutes 4.18.18.docx
- CEC Meeting Minutes 4_4_18.docx
- CEC Hearing 2_28_18.docx
- CEC Meeting Minutes 2_9_18.pdf
- CEC Hearing Minuets 1_31_18.pdf
- CEC Meeting Minuets 12-6-17.pdf
About this Committee
The mission of the committee is to support the success of energy efficiency, renewable energy, and resource conservation at Evergreen. We carry the responsibility of representing the interest of the student body as we appropriate the Clean Energy Fund. The fund is designated to offset 100% of the electricity used by Evergreen through renewable energy credits. The committee allocates the remaining fund to students, staff and faculty with goals of reducing the campus carbon footprint through research, education, or implementation. The Clean Energy Committee supports the creation of models for climate solutions through collaborative on-campus research.
Though the students currently purchase renewable energy credits, the vision is that Evergreen will one day independently produce its own renewable electricity. Already, this college has become a leader in climate action through student leadership, academic research, and sustainability goals. Yet, the more we understand about the climate crisis, the more complex the problem becomes. With the creativity and collaboration of each branch of the campus community, we will organize adaptable solutions to address the health of the climate system.
- Open communication between the committee, students, staff and faculty.
- The commitment of the students who contribute to the sustainability movement.
- The goals of zero waste and carbon neutrality by 2020.
The Clean Energy Fund was initiated by the students of the Evergreen State College to fuel the progress of renewable energy in the Northwest. The Clean Energy Committee is a group of students collaborating with campus staff and faculty.