Fiscal Technician 3 - Accounts Payable
Bulletin number: 2013-053SM
Closes: 11/06/2013 at 5:00 p.m. PST
The Evergreen State College is committed to prohibiting discrimination and to building a diverse faculty and staff. We strongly encourage qualified persons of all races, ethnicities, and sexual orientations, people with disabilities, persons over forty, women, Vietnam Era and disabled veterans to apply.
There is currently one full-time, overtime-eligible Fiscal Technician 3 position available on the Olympia Campus of The Evergreen State College. The candidate pool established from this announcement may be used to fill comparable permanent, full-time, part-time, and temporary vacancies in the future.
The Evergreen State College is a progressive, public liberal arts and sciences college located in Olympia, Washington, in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. Since opening its doors in 1971, Evergreen has established a national reputation for leadership in developing innovative interdisciplinary, collaborative and team-taught academic programs. The college has a vibrant undergraduate program, graduate programs, and public service centers that constitute a unique academic setting. The college values a student-centered learning environment, a link between theory and practice, and a multicultural community of diverse faculty, students and staff working together. Current enrollment is approximately 4,800. For more information about Evergreen, please visit our college catalog or our website: http://www.evergreen.edu
- Salary is $2,370 - $3,135 per month of full time work..
- Experience and training may be considered in salary placement.
- A full state benefits package which includes: paid sick and vacation leave; paid campus holidays; a generous medical, dental, life and disability insurance package for employees and dependents; retirement; deferred compensation and optional supplemental retirement accounts. For more information about Evergreen's excellent employee benefits, please view http://www.evergreen.edu/payroll/benefits
- Staff are eligible for a free local bus/transit pass.
- Permanent status employees that work 0.5 FTE or more are eligible for the tuition waiver program.
Under the direction of the Fiscal Analyst 3, independently perform all Accounts Payable functions for vendor payments. This includes checking and posting invoices to the Banner system, resolving invoicing and receiving discrepancies, and processing direct pay invoices for payment. Use independent judgment to perform all related duties necessary to process invoices for payment on a timely basis in accordance with current regulations, policies and procedures.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Make payments against Purchase Orders (PO) matching invoice and purchase orders, zeroing and closing POs out when necessary.
- Review all payment documents not on a Purchase Order for accuracy and completion. Give to Accounting Lead daily for approval and then enter into Banner system.
- Responsible for coding payments for correct sales tax or use tax as set forth in Department of Revenue regulations.
- Request the cancellation of checks when necessary and make approved corrections to invoices once check cancelled.
- Reconcile vendor statements; use independent judgment to respond to calls concerning payment of accounts and/or vendor inquiries; and follow up on invoicing and receiving discrepancies and questions.
- Prepare monthly FUPLOAD for JP Morgan Chase Procurement Card charges after payments have been approved by cardholders.
- Assist with the annual accountability audit performed by the State Auditor Office.
- Perform financial functions for the Conference Services to include billing, payment reconciliation, event tracking, purchase card payments, recharges, etc.
- Develop and maintain desk manual describing current procedures used to complete assigned duties.
- Train others on the Accounts Payable system.
- File and retrieve documents maintained by Accounts Payable.
- Oversee AP document filing when done by others.
- Reconcile general ledger accounts as necessary including reconciliations to vendor statements and backing up Travel and/or Expense Advance reconciliations.
- Serve as a backup for processing incoming mail to include date stamping, sorting, and alphabetizing.
- Act as backup to the Travel Desk.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Theoretical and working knowledge of GAAP as well as ability to apply and utilize these principles.
- Skill in and ability to accurately process, create, reconcile, correct, organize and maintain computer generated and paper reports, records and files.
- Ability to accurately apply and explain sales and use tax.
- Skill in and ability to use standard office equipment and computer software such as Microsoft Office and central databases.
- Knowledge of and ability to comply with Revised Code of Washington (RCWs), OFM rules, and college policies and procedures relating to Accounts Payable.
- Ability to work independently to analyze data, identify errors and make corrections.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of students, staff, faculty and the public.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Communication skills to deal with diverse personalities.
- Ability to accurately perform reconciliation of a variety of accounts / statements.
- Ability to communicate Accounts Payable regulations and procedures in understandable terms.
- Proficient with 10-key.
- Ability to successfully organize, plan and complete complex tasks and special projects.
- Ability to train others.
- This position is assigned to part of the college that is covered by a union shop provision and a collective bargaining agreement. Employees are required to pay an amount equal to the fees or dues required to be a member of the union to the Washington Federation of State Employees within thirty days of their date of hire.
- Must provide proof of identity and employment eligibility within three days of beginning work.
- Must pass a pre-employment background check.
Please carefully read the job bulletin and submit all requested items by the closing date listed above. The committee in its screening of applicants will assume your abilities and experience include only those elements specifically documented within your application materials. By submitting a completed application for this position you are acknowledging that all of the information that you have submitted to apply for this job is true and complete to the best of your knowledge. You understand that The Evergreen State College may verify this information and that untruthful or misleading answers are cause for rejection of your application or dismissal if you are hired. If invited for an on-campus interview, you may be required to pay your own travel expenses.
Materials may be submitted using any one of the following options: