Associate Director, Network Services
Bulletin number: 2014-024SM
Opened: July 11, 2014
Closes: July 30, 2014 at 5:00 p.m. PST
The Evergreen State College is committed to prohibiting discrimination and to building a diverse faculty and staff. We strongly encourage qualified persons of all races, ethnicities, and sexual orientations, people with disabilities, persons over forty, women, Vietnam Era and disabled veterans to apply.SPECIAL NOTE
There is currently one full-time overtime-exempt Associate Director, Network Services position available on the Olympia Campus of The Evergreen State College. This position is an “at-will” appointment, exempt from Washington State Civil Service rules and the Fair Labor Standards Act overtime requirements.
The Evergreen State College is a progressive, public liberal arts and sciences college located in Olympia, Washington, in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. Since opening its doors in 1971, Evergreen has established a national reputation for leadership in developing innovative interdisciplinary, collaborative and team-taught academic programs. The college has a vibrant undergraduate program, graduate programs, and public service centers that constitute a unique academic setting. The college values a student-centered learning environment, a link between theory and practice, and a multicultural community of diverse faculty, students and staff working together. For more information about Evergreen, please visit our college catalog or our website: http://www.evergreen.edu
- Salary is $6,519 to $7,366 per month of full time work.
- Experience and training may be considered in salary placement.
- A full state benefits package which includes: paid sick and vacation leave; paid campus holidays; a generous medical, dental, life and disability insurance package for employees and dependents; retirement; deferred compensation and optional supplemental retirement accounts. For more information about Evergreen's excellent employee benefits, please view http://www.evergreen.edu/payroll.
- Permanent status employees that work 0.5 FTE or more are eligible for the tuition waiver program.
Provide leadership, strategic direction, and supervision for the Network Services team and, as a member of the Computing and Communications (C&C) management team, share responsibility for the overall management of C&C in support of the mission of the college.
The Associate Director, Network Services position reports to the Director of C&C along with other Associate Directors responsible for Academic Computing, Administrative Computing, Electronic Maintenance and Engineering, and Client Services. As a member of the management team, this position helps to set strategic, operational, and tactical direction; provide policy recommendations; and establish procedures in support of the college’s mission. It has shared responsibility and accountability, along with the management team, for compliance with all federal and Washington state laws, regulations, and/or policies regarding information technology as applicable to an institution of higher education.
This position leads the Network Services team and provides leadership to the campus regarding the management, design, acquisition, installation, operation, and maintenance of Evergreen's enterprise information technology systems, network security, and campus-wide network infrastructure.The Network Services team has primary responsibility for the following core services:
- Message and calendar services (email) for students, faculty, and staff
- Server operating system services (accounts and directory)
- File services
- Print services
- Data/server backups
- Security of physical and virtual infrastructure, equipment and data
- Web hosting services
- Discussion services and collaboration tools
- Database administration services
- Maintain physical infrastructure and equipment
- Software installation/configuration for enterprise systems
Managing, directing, and supervising a diverse staff of 8 network engineers/system administrators, the Associate Director, Network Services is accountable for setting clear priorities; deploying resources for Network Services; and ensuring successful and timely completion of projects and activities while fostering strong partnerships with other internal and external teams providing related services or working on IT projects. This position has significant budgetary responsibility for planning and purchasing network equipment, licensing, and maintenance contracts that support the priorities of the academic and business mission of the college. The budget under direct authority may range from $70,000 to over $500,000 in any given year.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related technical, science, or mathematical fields.
- Three years of experience managing staff including: selecting, training, evaluating, motivating, coaching and disciplining employees; planning, organizing and delegating work; and ensuring work is performed within resource constraints and technical specifications.
- Three years of progressive experience in networking environments as a network engineer, systems administrator, DBA, project manager, etc.
- One year of experience managing IT budgets, spending plans, and proposals.
- Master's degree with technology as a core component.
- Four years of experience managing staff including: selecting, training, evaluating, motivating, coaching and disciplining employees; planning, organizing and delegating work; and ensuring work is performed within resource constraints and technical specifications.
- Four years of progressive experience in networking environments as a network engineer, systems administrator, DBA, project manager, etc.
- Two years of experience managing IT budgets, spending plans, and proposals.
Leadership & Organization
- Network Services Team
-Lead the staff and resources of Network Services to ensure the successful and timely completion of projects and activities of the group, ensuring that priorities are in keeping with institutional and C&C priorities.
-Effectively communicate management priorities to team members.
-Plan hardware and software upgrades to keep the network infrastructure equipment current. Develop project plans and downtime schedules in coordination with appropriate campus units.
-Supervise, recruit, and develop a diverse, collaborative staff; maintain work schedule, payroll, training, and policies/procedures communications for staff.
-Ensure an adequate supply of parts and materials to repair or replace failing equipment critical to the functioning of the campus network.
-Foster customer service, professional, and technical growth in all Network Services team members.
-Build strong inter-team communication flow and partnerships in coordination with other teams in the delivery of services and collaboration on issues of mutual interest.
- Team Leaders
-In coordination with other Computing and Communications Team leaders, set a high standard of cooperation and collaboration that supports inter-team and intra-team information and responsibility sharing.
-Ensure systems, servers, and networks are highly functional, reliable, and secure in a collaborative management environment.
-Coordinate service interruptions for critical academic and administrative resources in a timely and effective manner.
-Communicate effectively with senior management and non-technical staff on organizational priorities.
-Provide pro-active, structured project management and effective communication with campus IT teams and the broader user community.
-Participate in campus-wide information technology planning groups.
- Network and Data Security policies and procedures
-Design, develop, implement, and maintain procedures for monitoring, maintaining, and securing campus network, data, and enterprise application resources; make recommendations to improve utilization when appropriate.
-Ensure documentation relating to the campus network, data, and enterprise applications is current, clear, concise and readily available; this includes the campus security plan, emergency procedures, and business resumption plan.
- Vendor Relationships
-Manage the relationship with vendors from project inception to installation.
- Network Architecture
-Design, develop, implement, and maintain fault tolerant, secure campus-wide information network services and enterprise applications, optimizing their use in support of instructional and administrative functions.
-Provide technical system planning and design support to all campus units; meet with other C&C staff to discuss the impact of a proposed design or upgrade prior to implementation and coordinate implementation tasks.
- System Administration
-Work closely with the user community and C&C staff in resolving day-to-day networking problems; use diagnostic equipment to isolate problems, and work with vendors and staff to resolve issues quickly.KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Excellent supervisory skills including the ability to supervise and coach a diverse staff, successfully train and direct the work of others, evaluate performance, and address job performance issues.
- Sensitivity to serving the technical needs of a non-technical community.
- Experience working cooperatively and effectively with diverse colleagues, customers, and stakeholders.
- Strong management, organizational and customer service skills in fostering a team environment.
- Skill in effective listening, fostering collaboration and integrating diverse perspectives into planning and visioning.
- Ability to understand the intricate behavior and interactions of various applications, systems, and protocols running simultaneously across an enterprise network.
- Ability to use advanced knowledge of network topologies and technologies to design and implement an enterprise wide network.
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience successfully managing a large IT budget and resource acquisition efforts.
- Ability to lead a highly technical, self-directed group of IT professionals.
- Strong logical troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
- Perseverance and ability to clearly identify, prioritize, and resolve problems.
- Experience managing vendor relationships throughout product life-cycles.
- Experience managing and configuring a variety of network equipment; switches, routers, firewalls, virtualizing appliances, packet shapers, etc.
- Knowledge of intranet/internet networking protocols.
- Systems administration experience with Microsoft Window and Linux in an Active Directory based heterogeneous environment.
- Knowledge of telephony system architectures, VoIP and the impact on the network.
- Systems programming experience such as: BASH, CSH, Perl, C, Python and/or Windows PowerShell.
- Experience in systems analysis and design.
- Must provide proof of identity and employment eligibility within three days of beginning work.
- Must pass a pre-employment background check.
Materials may be submitted using any one of the following options: