New Student Orientation prepares students to succeed during the first year and beyond. You’ll find plenty of fun on the schedule and many opportunities to connect with other Greeners.
New Student Orientation, September 20–25
New Student Orientation is designed to support new students and their families as they transition into the Evergreen community. Students at the Olympia Campus should plan to be on campus and checked in by 1:00 PM on Tuesday, September 20th. A detailed schedule will be added to this page in early September. You can find a preliminary Schedule Outline Here. Parents and families are welcome to join us for informational sessions throughout the day on September 20th. Students will continue participating in orientation activities through the first day of classes.
During Orientation Week, new students will think together and act together while learning about:
- Your Education and Your Academic Statement
- Ways to Thrive as Members of the Evergreen Community
- Learning Through Community Service
- Expectations of Members of the Evergreen Community
- Living and Learning Across Significant Differences
- Student Services to Support Your Success
- Academic and Career Planning
- Our Beautiful Pacific Northwest
- Meeting New Friends and Creating Your Own Community
All new students are expected to participate in New Student Orientation. Some events in the Orientation Week schedule are required for all new students, and some are optional. Please plan to participate fully in Orientation Week—it will make a difference for you! Welcome to Evergreen; we’re glad you are here.
Move-In Day for New On-Campus Residents
On Tuesday, September 20, starting at 9 am, new students who will live on campus can check in at the residence halls. Later in the day, we’ll offer information sessions and a welcome reception for all new students, families, and friends.
Want to Get An Early Start to Your Evergreen Education?
One of our two pre-orientation institutes might be just what you’re looking for:
- The Multicultural Scholars Program offers an engaging, two-credit program to fit your needs and give you a greater understanding of the personal and social significance of multicultural scholarship.
- The Evergreen Student Civic Engagement Institute, also two credits, gives you an opportunity to explore democratic values, engage in community service, and strengthen your skills as a citizen.
Both programs offer a week of great experiences, starting on September 14, and will allow you to arrive on campus early and start building your Evergreen community. Space is limited, so apply early. More information, including how to apply, is at each program’s website (linked above). You may apply to both programs, but each is full-time so you would only be able to participate in one if you are selected.
For travelers arriving before the 20th, here are some handy resources for planning your trip:
Reminder: Olympia is a temperate climate, so be prepared to dress for chilly mornings and warm afternoons.
If you are a student with a disability in need of an accommodation during Orientation Week, please contact Access Services for Students with Disabilities at (360) 867-6348, or TTY (360) 867-6834 as soon as possible prior to the events you are attending.