War and the Soul
Creating Healing Academic Communities for our Nation's Veterans
First Northwest Regional Summit
Featuring Dr. Edward Tick
May 6 - 7, 2010
The Evergreen State College, Olympia Washington
For more information, email Abby Kelso
or call her at (360) 867-6164
About the Summit
- Gain new knowledge and practical skills for working with student veterans.
- Connect with resources for veteran students and higher education institutions.
We are a nation at war – the impact of this on our society and our educational communities has been profound. As our nation’s veterans return to our communities, many are choosing higher education as a first step to re-orienting to our society. Are we prepared to meet their educational needs and challenges and to acknowledge their experience and strengths?
At the summit, you will
- Work extensively with Dr. Edward Tick, consultant, psychotherapist, and educator with 3 decades of experience working with veterans.
- View and discuss the film Tattooed Under Fire, a portrait of the young men and women who are serving in Iraq and Afghanistan, with the film's Emmy-nominated producer/director Nancy Schiesari.
- Hear from student veterans about their experiences, what they need, and what they offer.
- Explore strategies to effectively serve student veterans in higher education.
- Exchange best practices with colleagues from across the region.
- Connect with valuable resources available to you, your students and institutions.
- To request a disability accommodation, contact Kelso 360-867-6164 email@example.com