Faculty Position in 3D Studio Art (Visiting)
The Evergreen State College seeks a full-time, visiting faculty colleague to teach introductory-level 3D design with a printmaking faculty in Studio Projects, a team-taught, three-quarter, 16-credit program. The ideal candidate will be available to participate in advance course planning as early as April, 2014.
Studio Projects is an entry-level, thematic program emphasizing studio practice in 2D (printmaking) and 3D artistic practice (wood working). Past themes have included ‘Art and Religious Practice’ and ‘Land and Sky’ The program is an “all comers’ offering designed to support students identifying as visual arts, as well as those who are curious about the studio, visual and intellectual skills required for sustained artistic work.
Learning activities emphasize artistic practice, craft traditions in print and wood, craft and art histories, visual literacy, design process and visual research skills. The fall and winter quarters will stress technical skills and the histories of craft and art. In spring quarter, students have the opportunity to apply their learning to their own aesthetic priorities. Students should be prepared to dedicate at least 40 hours per week to program assignments.
- Masters degree or equivalent professional experience in the arts and/or crafts;
- Demonstrated teaching experience in woodworking and/or 3D design, preferably at the college level;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written); and
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with others.
- Contact Information
- Work Experience
- Affirmative Action
- Curriculum vitae/resume;
- Letter of application that expresses your interest in the position and details how your background, skills and experience will contribute to Studio Projects;
- Two current letters of reference from professional colleagues (letters of reference may be submitted via regular mail or email (firstname.lastname@example.org);
- 1-2 page statement of your teaching philosophy and practice. Please focus specifically on your understanding and/or experience of interdisciplinary study and what you believe should distinguish a liberal arts education today;
- 1-2 page statement of your multicultural experience and/or practice;
- 10 – 15 examples of creative work and artist statement (link to website is acceptable); and
- Optional: Student evaluations and/or letters of support from current and/or former students.
Review of complete applications begins December 16, 2013. We will continue to accept application materials until finalists are selected.
The College reserves the right to extend searches or not offer positions advertised. As a condition of employment, persons hired must provide proof of identity and employment eligibility within three (3) days of contract start date. All position offers are contingent on funding. Persons with disabilities can receive accommodations in the hiring process by contacting the Faculty Hiring Coordinator. The Evergreen State College is an equal opportunity employer.
This is a 1-year visiting faculty position not eligible for continuing appointment.