Faculty Position in Business (Entrepreneurship)
The Evergreen State College seeks a faculty member with broad interest and experience in business and who is interested in teaching in an interdisciplinary, theme-based, collaborative context. Candidates must have the ability to teach entrepreneurship in a physical classroom environment and in one or more of the following areas: management, organizational development, leadership, finance or economics. Additional desirable teaching areas include organizational strategy, information technologies, business ethics and business law. We are looking for a colleague excited about the opportunity to create, develop and implement a broad based undergraduate business curriculum within a liberal arts context.
The successful candidate will teach in the foundational, interdisciplinary, full-time business curriculum and demonstrate an interest in and commitment to place business within a broad social and political context. A capacity and interest in teaching specific topics that illustrate the power of business to support community economic growth and/or social justice is highly desirable. For example, expertise in such topics as managing small to medium size enterprises, entrepreneurship, sustainable business practice, diversity and business, human scale business in a global economy, workforce development and alternative workplace models, and other forms of business organizations, non-profits and NGOs.
We strongly encourage candidates to apply who have demonstrated experience in teaching, have experience in pursuing innovative and engaging teaching strategies working with faculty from other disciplines, and who have experience working with diverse and underserved populations. Faculty members on teaching teams have a significant amount of direct contact with students and enjoy a high degree of freedom to determine the subject matter, pace, emphasis, classroom strategies and modes of evaluation in the programs that they teach. Candidates who have background and interests beyond business and have prior experience teaching with faculty from other disciplines and pursuing innovative and engaging teaching strategies are particularly encouraged to apply.
Evergreen organizes its curriculum through interdisciplinary studies (rather than through departments and courses), so the ideal candidate would show the potential for working across disciplines with faculty colleagues. In addition to teaching, faculty are expected to advise and mentor students and participate in Evergreen’s system of shared governance. Through their participation in shared governance, faculty play a significant role in most aspects of how the college is run.
- Master’s degree in business or closely related field;
- Expressed interest in teaching at an interdisciplinary liberal arts college; and
- Ability to teach entrepreneurship in a physical classroom environment and in one or more of the following areas: management, organizational development, leadership, finance or economics.
- Entrepreneurial business experience;
- Experience in teaching entrepreneurship at the college/university level;
- Ph.D. in business or closely related field;
- College-level teaching experience in a physical classroom environment;
- Interest in and ability to teach in one or more of the following areas: organizational strategy, information technology, business ethics and business law;
- Ability to work with students on writing;
- Experience in working with diverse and underrepresented populations; and
- Experience in pursuing innovative and engaging college teaching strategies and working with faculty from other disciplines.
To apply, please enter the following information to our online application:
- Contact Information
- Work Experience
- Affirmative Action
Submit the following items as email attachment(s) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Curriculum vitae;
- Letter of application that expresses your interest in the position and details how your background, skills and experience will contribute to an academically rigorous, interdisciplinary business program;
- 1-2 page statement of your teaching philosophy and practice. Please focus specifically on your understanding and experience of interdisciplinary study and what you believe should distinguish a liberal arts education today;
- 1-2 page statement of your multicultural experience and/or practice;
- Examples of scholarly work (research papers or reviews);
- Three current letters of reference from professional colleagues (letters of reference may be submitted via regular mail or email (email@example.com); and
- Optional: Student evaluations and/or letters of support from current and/or former students.
Review of complete applications begins December 6, 2013. We will continue to accept application materials until finalists are selected.
The College reserves the right to extend searches or not offer positions advertised. As a condition of employment, persons hired must provide proof of identity and employment eligibility within three (3) days of contract start date. All position offers are contingent on funding. Persons with disabilities can receive accommodations in the hiring process by contacting the Faculty Hiring Coordinator. The Evergreen State College is an equal opportunity employer.
The successful candidate is eligible for continuing appointment based on the guidelines set forth in the Collective Bargaining Agreement.