Regular Faculty Position
This is a full time faculty position starting in the 2013/14 academic year.
The Evergreen State College seeks a faculty member with broad interest and experience in business interested in teaching in an interdisciplinary, theme-based, collaborative context. We are looking for a colleague excited about developing and shaping an undergraduate business curriculum within a liberal arts context.
Candidates must demonstrate the ability and commitment to teach in one or more of the following areas: entrepreneurship/management/organizational development/leadership, finance, or economics. Additional desirable teaching areas include organizational strategy, information technologies, business ethics and business law.
The successful candidate will teach in the foundational, interdisciplinary, full-time business curriculum and demonstrate an interest in and commitment to place business within a broad social and political context. A capacity and interest in teaching specific topics that illustrate the power of business to support community economic growth and/or social justice is highly desirable. For example, expertise in such topics as managing small to medium size enterprises, entrepreneurship, sustainable business practice, diversity and business, human scale business in a global economy, workforce development and alternative workplace models, and other forms of business organizations, non-profits and NGOs.
We strongly encourage candidates to apply who have demonstrated experience in teaching, have experience in pursuing innovative and engaging teaching strategies working with faculty from other disciplines, and who have experience working with diverse and underserved populations. Faculty members on teaching teams have a significant amount of direct contact with students and enjoy a high degree of freedom to determine the subject matter, pace, emphasis, classroom strategies and modes of evaluation in the programs that they teach. Candidates who have background and interests beyond business and have prior experience teaching with faculty from other disciplines and pursuing innovative and engaging teaching strategies are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Masters degree in business or closely related field;
- Interest in teaching at an interdisciplinary liberal arts college; and;
- Ability to teach in one or more of the following areas: entrepreneurship/management/organizational development/leadership, finance, or economics..
- Doctorate in business or closely related field;
- College level teaching experience;
- Business experience;
- Interest in and ability to teach in one of the following areas: organizational strategy, information technologies, business ethics and business law;
- Ability to work with students on writing;
- Experience working with diverse and underrepresented populations and
- Experience in pursuing innovative and engaging college teaching strategies and working with faculty from other disciplines.
Review of complete applications begins December 7, 2012. We will continue to accept applications until finalists are selected.
The successful candidate is eligible for a continuing appointment based on the guidelines set forth in the Collective Bargaining Agreement, article 11.
To apply, please submit the following information on our online application, link is above:
- Work Experience
- Affirmative Action
Submit the following items as an attachment(s) with an email or mail:
- Curriculum vitae.
- Letter of application.
- 1-2 page statement of your teaching philosophy and practice. Please focus specifically on your understanding and experience of interdisciplinary study and what you believe should distinguish a liberal arts education today.
- 1-2 page statement of your multicultural experience and/or practice.
- Examples of scholarly or artistic work. (Research papers or reviews)
- Evaluations by students (if available)
- Three current letters of reference from professional colleagues that speak to your teaching experience; in addition, letters from students are often useful. Letters of reference may be emailed or mailed directly to our faculty hiring office.
Evergreen is an innovative, public, liberal arts college emphasizing integrated interdisciplinary study and collaborative team-teaching throughout the undergraduate curriculum and in three graduate programs. Teaching is the central work of the faculty at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Successful teaching at Evergreen requires broad-ranging intellectual curiosity and the ability to formulate interdisciplinary questions with faculty colleagues and students.
Faculty members team-teach in full-time interdisciplinary programs. With their teaching colleagues they collaboratively design thematically-centered programs that bring together multiple disciplines. Faculty teams also strive to address core academic experiences we believe should be included in all programs; teaching writing and quantitative reasoning; deepening students' academic, artistic and interpretative abilities and skills; promoting culturally diverse traditions of knowledge; and creating inclusive learning environments for students and faculty members.
Recognizing cultural diversity as a defining characteristic of the 21st century, the college has intensified its efforts to become a multicultural institution. Substantive experience in working across cultural differences is therefore highly desirable for all positions. Committed to equal opportunity and affirmative action, TESC is working to build a diverse, broadly trained faculty. We particularly encourage applications from candidates whose race, national origin, sex, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status or physical disability will contribute to our diversity.
Faculty membership is unranked with salary determined on a non-competitive, open scale based on earned degrees and years of relevant experience.
Evergreen's fundamental academic commitments are summarized in the Five Foci:
- Interdisciplinary study
- Personal engagement in learning
- Linking theoretical perspectives with practice
- Collaborative/cooperative work
- Teaching across significant differences
The College reserves the right to extend searches or not offer positions advertised. All position offers are contingent on funding. Persons with disabilities can receive accommodations in the hiring process by contacting the Faculty Hiring Coordinator. The Evergreen State College is an equal opportunity employer.