Regular Faculty Position
Biology (Anatomy & Physiology)
This is a full time faculty position starting in the 2013/2014 academic year.
The Evergreen State College seeks broadly trained faculty colleague to teach biology at the organismal level in a wide range of interdisciplinary courses. Candidates must demonstrate a strong commitment to undergraduate teaching at all levels, including a commitment to the established biology curriculum and supporting student research. In particular we are interested in a biologist who would be able to teach anatomy and physiology in both pre-health and general biology programs. This individual would be able to contribute to interdisciplinary programs related to human health, support our efforts in our pre-health curriculum, and help increase the exposure to biology at levels above the cellular and molecular levels. This position offers the possibility of rich collaborations with other biologists and colleagues in the sciences as well as in the arts, humanities, and social sciences.
Evergreen organizes its curriculum through interdisciplinary studies (rather than through departments and courses), so the ideal candidate would show the potential for working across disciplines with faculty colleagues. At Evergreen, faculty on teaching teams work closely with students and enjoy a high degree of freedom to determine the subject matter, pace, emphasis, classroom strategies and modes of evaluation. Qualified applicants will teach in their area of expertise, and collaborate across disciplines to connect theory with practice. In addition to teaching, faculty are expected to advise and mentor students and participate in Evergreen’s system of shared governance. Through their participation in shared governance, faculty play a significant role in most aspects of how the college is run.
- A PhD in the biological sciences or equivalent terminal degree;
- College level teaching experience;
- Ability to teach human anatomy and physiology in both pre-health and general biology programs;
- Strong commitment to undergraduate teaching at all levels;
- Ability to support student research;
- Demonstrated interest teaching in an interdisciplinary context; and
- Strong interest in contributing to a curriculum that emphasizes connecting theory to practice.
- The ability to support students’ development of scientific literacy;
- The ability to support students’ development of writing skills;
- Experience in interdisciplinary teaching or research;
- Experience in team-teaching;
- Experience in working with diverse and underrepresented populations; and
- Experience in pursuing innovative and engaging teaching strategies.
The successful candidate is eligible for a continuing appointment based on the guidelines set forth in the Collective Bargaining Agreement, Article 11.
Review of complete applications begins October 22, 2012. We will continue to accept application materials until finalists are selected.
To apply, please submit the following information on our online application, link is above:
- Contact Information
- Work Experience
- Affirmative Action
Submit the following items as an attachment(s) with an email or mail:
- Curriculum vitae.
- Letter of application.
- 1-2 page statement of your teaching philosophy and practice. Please focus specifically on your understanding and experience of interdisciplinary study and what you believe should distinguish a liberal arts education today.
- 1-2 page statement of your multicultural experience and/or practice.
- Examples of scholarly or artistic work. (Research papers or reviews)
- Evaluations by students (if available)
- Three current letters of reference from professional colleagues that speak to your teaching experience; in addition, letters from students are often useful. Letters of reference may be emailed or mailed directly to our faculty hiring office.
Evergreen is an innovative, public, liberal arts college emphasizing integrated interdisciplinary study and collaborative team-teaching throughout the undergraduate curriculum and in three graduate programs. Teaching is the central work of the faculty at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Successful teaching at Evergreen requires broad-ranging intellectual curiosity and the ability to formulate interdisciplinary questions with faculty colleagues and students.
Faculty members team-teach in full-time interdisciplinary programs. With their teaching colleagues they collaboratively design thematically-centered programs that bring together multiple disciplines. Faculty teams also strive to address core academic experiences we believe should be included in all programs; teaching writing and quantitative reasoning; deepening students' academic, artistic and interpretative abilities and skills; promoting culturally diverse traditions of knowledge; and creating inclusive learning environments for students and faculty members.
Recognizing cultural diversity as a defining characteristic of the 21st century, the college has intensified its efforts to become a multicultural institution. Substantive experience in working across cultural differences is therefore highly desirable for all positions. Committed to equal opportunity and affirmative action, TESC is working to build a diverse, broadly trained faculty. We particularly encourage applications from candidates whose race, national origin, sex, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status or physical disability will contribute to our diversity.
Faculty membership is unranked with salary determined on a non-competitive, open scale based on earned degrees and years of relevant experience.
Evergreen's fundamental academic commitments are summarized in the Five Foci:
- Interdisciplinary study
- Personal engagement in learning
- Linking theoretical perspectives with practice
- Collaborative/cooperative work
- Teaching across significant differences
The College reserves the right to extend searches or not offer positions advertised. All position offers are contingent on funding. Persons with disabilities can receive accommodations in the hiring process by contacting the Faculty Hiring Coordinator. The Evergreen State College is an equal opportunity employer.