GEAR UP Academic Support
College Students Helping Students Achieve GEAR UP's College Preparation Assistant Program
CPA tutoring a high school student on her math
assignment at Lakes High School.
What is the CPA Program?
The College Preparation Assistant (CPA) Program provides tutors that are hired and trained by the GEAR UP project to work with students individually and in small groups. CPA’s offer academic assistance to students primarily in mathematics, science, reading, and writing. You can also obtain more detailed information about the CPA program by viewing our CPA Brochure
Who are the CPA’s?
CPA’s are college students who are recruited from The Evergreen State College and other local colleges and universities. CPA’s have an interest in working with middle and high school students from diverse backgrounds. They must be attending college, have academic strengths in mathematics, writing, reading, and science. They also need to be willing to learn methods of effective tutoring and working independently.
CPA supporting students at Oakville High School
with their reading assignment.
What do CPA’s do?
Typically, CPA’s may:
- Tutor students individually within a classroom setting or in small groups during class time.
- Work with student in academics, leadership or community service clubs during and after school.
- Help Chaperone GEAR UP field trips and other cultural enrichment experiences.
- Serve as a role model for students by encouraging them to stay in school, develop the skills needed to go to college.
- Assist GEAR UP staff in preparations for GEAR UP activities and workshops.
- Maintain daily records of student contact