Residential and Dining Services Policies

Abandoned Property

Property left in a room with an estimated value of less than $50 will be thrown away, recycled, or donated. Property with an estimated value of $50 or greater will be documented and impounded. Students will be charged for the removal and impounding of property for labor on an hourly basis. We will attempt to contact students via their Evergreen e-mail or the phone number listed with the college about the impounded property and then students have 30 days to contact RAD to make arrangements for their property. Students can have property mailed to them, pick it up in person, or have items donated. After 30 days, if arrangements have not been made the property will be considered abandoned and the college will dispose of this property. Items that are mailed will be billed for the cost of shipping plus labor. If property is picked up, the student has 60 days from the original date of impoundment to retrieve the property.


Residential and Dining Services reserves the right to enter your apartment/unit for any of the following reasons: concerns you may harm yourself or others; cleaning, maintenance and pet inspections; emergency repairs; and noise complaints.


Advertising/postings must be confined to community bulletin boards, with the exception of RAD Services postings; designated RAD Services bulletin boards are also reserved solely for RAD Services advertising/postings. Any advertising posted anywhere else will be removed.


The possession, use, manufacture, or distribution of alcohol except as expressly permitted by law or college policy is prohibited, as are public appearances on college premises while intoxicated. Alcoholic beverages may not, in any circumstance, be used, possessed, consumed by, or distributed to, any person under the legal age.

Alcohol, including empty containers, is strictly prohibited in Substance Free and Freshman Housing for residents and guests. Residents and guests of legal age may consume alcohol in other private apartment/units. Kegs are prohibited for any use.

Alterations to Physical Space

Any alterations, modification or additions to the property or grounds are prohibited. Do not place additional locks on any door. No outdoor additions or construction of any kind is allowed. All mattresses are covered with a flame barrier that also acts as protection from allergens and insects such as bedbugs. For these important reasons, mattress covers cannot be removed; removal of the cover compromises the mattress itself and means that the mattress must be replaced. Altering an apartment/unit, including painting, removal of furniture or removal of any fixtures, is prohibited. Cost of restoration or damages will be billed to the occupant student account. All repairs must be completed by Residential and Dining Services staff.

Bicycle Policy

Bicycles may be stored in individual living spaces if all roommates agree. Bicycles may also be stored in designated bicycle racks if the bicycle is registered through police services. Bicycles that are stored in stairwells, balconies, hallways, lounges, or any area that may be a safety hazard are prohibited. Bicycles that are improperly stored may be removed and impounded. Following the spring closing, all bikes, other than those parked in front of designated summer housing, should be removed by the Wednesday of the first summer session, or bikes may be removed an impounded. (See abandoned property policy for more information on impounded property.)

Business Use

Your apartment/unit is to be used solely as a residence. You are prohibited from operating any business for profit or nonprofit purposes from your apartment/unit.

Candles (also see Fire policy)

Candles are prohibited, except during power outages or if approved in writing by a Resident Director for religious ceremonies. Candles must be attended at all times and extinguished when the ceremony/power outage is over. You will be billed for any damage from candles. Candles may be confiscated by a RAD Staff member and may be returned to the resident on their next trip home.


Bedroom Space:

You are responsible for keeping your assigned bedroom space clean and free from excessive clutter/litter.

Common Space:

You and your roommates are responsible for keeping your assigned common space clean and free from excessive clutter. Your Resident Assistant can assist you by facilitating a Living Learning Agreement among you and your roommates. Your Resident Director will inspect your common area during the eighth week of each quarter and prescribe cleaning tasks if needed. If you fail to clean your apartment/unit Residential and Dining Services will clean the space and bill the appropriate student accounts.

Cleaning Inspection

The Resident Directors inspect each apartment/unit each quarter to ensure a clean, healthy and safe environment for all residents in all common areas/facilities, including bathrooms, kitchens, living rooms and entryways.

Residential and Dining Services' cleaning standards are based on a new person being able to move into a clean and healthy environment, which is free of trash, dirty dishes and messy common spaces. Resident Directors are available to advise residents of specific cleaning expectations throughout the year.

If a living unit is found to be below standard the residents will be given time to clean before the unit is re-inspected. After the second inspection, Residential and Dining Services clean units that fail to meet the standard at the published rate and hold residents accountable for this policy violation.

Resident Assistants can assist in creating a new Living Learning Agreement if needed. Each agreement will address a cleaning responsibility for all roommates, which is fair, mutually agreed upon, and meets the cleaning standard. If the residents are unable to negotiate a reasonable agreement the Resident Director shall mandate an agreement.

Conduct Process

Students, staff and faculty can initiate the conduct process by providing information to College officials regarding possible inappropriate behavior as outlined by Evergreen's Student Conduct Code, the Residential and Dining Services Contract and Residential and Dining Services Policies. When it appears a violation might have occurred, an Incident Report is typically written to document the situation. The student will be sent a message via their Evergreen email account regarding a meeting with a conduct officer. The conduct officer can be a Resident Director (RD), the Assistant Director of Residence Life, or the Assistant to the VP of Student Affairs for Student Conduct (Campus Grievance Officer). At this meeting, the conduct officer will review the incident report and listen to the student's perspective with the goals of arriving at a settlement which includes deciding on any responsibility for violations or corrective actions resulting from any violations. Possible corrective actions include but are not limited to: warning, educational or discretionary actions (i.e. work assignments, drug and alcohol class, service to the College), probation, loss of privileges, restitution, no contact, suspension, or trespassing. Please see the Student Conduct Code for more information about the grievance process.

Communicable Disease/Insects

You are required to report all communicable disease or communicable insect infestation to Residential and Dining Services and seek appropriate college, public, or private treatment. On-campus housing will be made available to students with communicable diseases or insect infestation while complying with federal, state, county, and College policy and procedure in relation to the disease. Precautions will be taken by Residential and Dining Services on the advice of appropriate public or private health science professionals.

Composting, Trash and Recycling

You are responsible for taking your compost, trash and recyclables outside to designated containers located throughout Residential and Dining Services. You are responsible for keeping your assigned space clean and free from excessive compost, trash, and recyclables.

Cooking Equipment

Cooking equipment is limited to the following UL approved items unless approved in writing: hot water pots/coffee makers, microwaves, toasters, blenders, popcorn makers, indoor grills, slow cookers, rice cookers, waffle makers, and small individual refrigerators.

Gas grills, camp stoves, hot plates, and toaster ovens are prohibited.


Decorations that do not alter or damage your apartment/unit are permitted.

Door Security

All exterior doors lock. You are responsible for protecting building security by ensuring exterior doors are locked each time you enter/exit a building. You are prohibited from propping or leaving any exterior building, apartment, or unit exterior door open. You are responsible for securing your bedroom door.


Possession, use, manufacture, cultivation, packaging, distribution, selling, or the providing of any controlled substance as identified in chapter 69.50 RCW; or the possession or use of drug paraphernalia as defined in RCW 69.50.102; use of a prescription drug other than as prescribed, use of a prescription drug not issued to the student, or the distribution or sale of a prescription drug to a person to whom the prescription was not originally issued; or public appearance while under the influence of a controlled or illegal substance are all strictly prohibited.

Electrical Equipment

Electrical equipment is limited to the following UL approved items unless approved in writing: computers, printers, sound equipment, video equipment, musical instruments, lamps, fans, and small space heaters.

Halogen lamps, space heaters without an automatic turn off, and kilns are prohibited. Residents are responsible for properly disposing of this equipment upon move-out, and may be charged for improperly disposed of items.


Tampering with an elevator or engaging in reckless or dangerous behavior that places yourself or others at risk is prohibited.

Emergency Transfer

If you are concerned for your personal safety in your apartment/unit, contact the on-duty Resident Director to facilitate an Emergency Transfer. The Resident Director will meet with you to discuss your concerns, and may approve an Emergency Transfer.

Emergency Transfer Procedure

After determining that an emergency transfer is appropriate, the on-duty Resident Director will find you a temporary room if one is available. After the situation has been resolved your Resident Director will assist you in transferring to a new apartment/unit or assist you in returning to your apartment/unit.

If you choose to transfer rooms you will receive a list of vacant bedrooms to select from and a Room Transfer form. After you turn in your completed Room Transfer form you will receive your keys to your new room. You will have 48 hours to move and complete the Check-Out process from your old room.

Fire Alarms

When a building fire alarm is activated, everyone must evacuate per the International Fire Code regulation 404 and Evergreen's evacuation procedures.

When an individual room's smoke detector is activated, the occupier of the room is required to call the on-duty Resident Assistant immediately and meet the Resident Assistant when they arrive. The Resident Assistant will then determine the cause of the activation, and either reset the alarm or call for assistance.

Fires (also see Candle policy)

No open flames (candles, kerosene lamps, etc.) or any incendiary devices will be permitted. Smoking and the burning of incense is not allowed in any room or public area. Neglecting appliances (including cooking appliances) while in use is extremely dangerous and therefore prohibited. Hallways must be kept clear at all times. Playing sports or games such as Frisbee, golf, soccer, field hockey, in-line skating, bicycling or skateboarding indoors is prohibited. Tangled electrical cords and/or overloaded power strips can cause fire and are therefore prohibited. Intentionally sounding a false alarm is prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to, initiating or causing to be initiated a false report, warning, or threat, such as that of fire, explosion, or emergency that intentionally provokes a false emergency response. The improper use or disabling of safety equipment and signs is likewise prohibited.


All furniture must remain in the apartment/unit. You will be charged for any missing or damaged furniture.


You are responsible for the behavior of your guests. Overnight guests may stay in your room with written approval by all of your roommates. An approved guest may stay no more than three days and two nights in one month. Unapproved guests are not permitted to stay overnight.

Incense (also see Candle policy and Fire policy)

The burning of incense is prohibited, except if approved in writing by a Resident Director for religious ceremonies.

Keys (also see Housing Contract)

Residents may contact the Residential and Dining Office or the RA on-duty if they have misplaced their key(s) or lost them. Staff can assist in helping residents enter their room/apartment, and/or begin the lock change process. Repeated lock-outs may result in a referral to the grievance process. Checked out keys are due back in two business days; failure to turn them in may result in a lock change. Lock changes are typically charged to the resident responsible for the lost keys.

Living Learning Agreement

Your Resident Assistant will facilitate a Living Learning meeting with all of your roommates at the beginning of fall quarter, and any other time when new residents move into your space. This is your opportunity to voice any concerns you have with your roommates. Your Resident Assistant will lead a conversation on issues most residents have while living on campus. Topics such as study habits, noise, cleaning, guests and any individual concerns will be discussed. After an understanding is reached it will be documented by your Resident Assistant. Failure to follow agreement may result in referral to the conduct process if the behaviors disrupt the living situation.

Mural/Continual Student Image Making

Members of the Evergreen community are welcome to create artwork for the community in the form of murals as long as they follow the listed guidelines.

Murals within the residence halls afford opportunities for students to have ownership in their community, create expression, and have the potential to improve the appearance of campus. In order to enhance the positive potential of the creation of murals the following procedures shall be in place:

  • Members of the Evergreen community can propose to create a mural in various designated areas within the housing community. Students who wish to create a mural should fill out a mural proposal form located on the Residential and Dining Services website and submit the proposal to the RAD front office.
  • Once a mural proposal is submitted, the proposal will be reviewed by the Resident Director overseeing the mural process and the Assistant Director for RAD Facilities to ensure that all of the materials requested may be accommodated. RAD Facilities works with the Greener Organization to supply students with training and materials to create the murals free of cost and works to ensure that all materials used in campus murals abide by Evergreen’s eco-friendly paint standard, and that the materials used will contain no VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds).
  • Once the mural has been reviewed, the Resident Director overseeing the mural process will inform the submitter that the proposal will be taken to the Greener Organization for approval. If the Greener Organization has questions, the submitter of the mural proposal should be present to answer any questions about the artwork.
  • Proposals shall include a detailed sketch in color of what is being created, a timeline for completion of the project, identification of the artist (A lead artist should be designated if more than one artist is involved), contact information for the artist, and a brief narrative describing what the murals intended value is to the Evergreen community and how the mural creator is affiliated with this community.
  • Approvals will be based on the apparent artistic quality of the project and satisfactory completion of guidelines in this policy. The mural must also be in line with the mission and values of Residential and Dining Services and not promote the violation of policies, the Student Conduct Code, or the Social Contract of Evergreen.
  • Proposal denial must be accompanied by a stated reason.
  • Once the mural is approved. The submitter of the proposal will be notified and the submitter must then make contact with the Student Facilities Lead to schedule a meeting to receive training and materials for mural application.
  • All paints, paintbrushes, drop cloth, and other materials for the mural will be purchased by RAD. Current policies prohibit the use of paints containing VOCs and spray paint. This is done to reduce the environmental impact and maintain a healthy living environment for the community.
  • Should the number of requests for murals exceed the available space an attempt will be made to identify additional locations throughout the housing community.
  • Once the mural is completed, RAD Services will verify that the mural meets the expectations per the proposal and policy. Any damages to areas outside of the mural site may be billed to the Lead Artist.
  • This policy is intended to provide opportunities for students to create murals. Non- students may assist students in the creation of murals, but the execution of the murals should be largely left to students.
  • Evergreen does not give legal copyright to any public artist. The mural creator is financially responsible for any damage incurred to the building as a result of their work. RAD Services is not responsible for damage to health or property as a result of participation in this project.
  • Mural spaces are set on a rotation and artwork is not permanent. Artist should note that a mural would eventually be removed to afford opportunities for mural creation to future students at Evergreen or removed to allow RAD Services to ensure a safe and inclusive environment within the community.

Musical Instruments

The playing of all drums and amplified instruments is prohibited, except if approved in writing by a Resident Director. Students found responsible for violating the musical instrument policy will be expected to take their instruments home on their next trip.

Noise and Quiet Hours

Noise is to be kept at a level which is not disruptive to others’ ability to sleep or study. You are responsible to hold yourself and others to acceptable sound levels as defined in this policy. Contact your Resident Assistant to quantify an acceptable noise level. You are expected to respectfully approach others directly for any noise concerns. The on-duty Resident Assistant can assist you if the unacceptable noise persists. Quiet hours are Sunday to Thursday, 11 pm to 9 am, and Friday and Saturday, 12 midnight to 9 am. During these times noise must be contained to your room. Residents are expected to demonstrate courtesy and considerations towards others at all times. If a neighbor requests a reduction in the noise, respect and compliance are expected. Residential and Dining Services reserves the right to enter your apartment/unit for noise complaints.

Open Transfer

Open transfers are generally available after the third week of the quarter. The Resident is allowed one free room transfer per academic year. Additional room transfers are billed at $40 and are contingent on space availability. To begin the process, obtain a Room Transfer form from the Residential and Dining Services Office and talk with a Resident Director to receive a list of vacant bedrooms to select from. Select a room and obtain signatures from your new roommates. Turn in your completed Room Transfer form to receive keys to your new room. You will have 48 hours to move and check out of your old room.

Outdoor Toys

You may use the outdoor area by your apartment/unit for outdoor toys, pools, tents, etc. on a temporary basis lasting no more than three days. Contact the Residential and Dining Services Office for permission for longer use.


The only pets allowed in on-campus housing are fish (in tanks no greater than 10 gallons). You may not house or harbor a cat, dog, fowl, reptile, arachnid, or any other animal in your residence hall room/apartment or in the vicinity of any residential complex. Students who have allegedly violated the pet policy will have a maximum of 48 hours to find an alternative off campus living arrangement for the pet. A service charge will be assessed to cover the costs of pest inspection and mitigation. Service Animals that are approved through Access Services are permitted in the residence halls. (see Service Animal policy.)

Physical Space

You are responsible for keeping your assigned room, furniture and fixtures free from damage. You and your roommates are jointly responsible for damage to your common areas unless you and your roommates agree to assign responsibility.

Removing furniture or fixtures from the assigned apartment/unit is prohibited. Painting is prohibited in all apartment/units. All wall repairs/painting must be completed by Residential and Dining Services staff.

Quiet Housing

Quiet Housing will remain quiet for study, sleep and recreation. Residents and their guests agree to low noise levels regardless of the time of day or day of the week.

Designated quiet hours in Quiet housing:

  • Sunday through Thursday from 7 p.m. to 9 a.m.
  • Friday and Saturday from midnight to 10 a.m.

Residential and Dining Services expects residents living in Quiet housing to confront noise violations in their living space, hallways and entryways. If this confrontation is unsuccessful, contact your Resident Assistant or Police Services.

Residents who create a noise disturbance in Quiet Housing will receive a warning and/or be referred to arbitration to be held accountable to the community noise standards. If residents are unable or unwilling to resolve their dispute, it may result in their removal from the Quiet Housing community.

Repairs / Work Orders

Staff is available to fix any items that are furnished with your apartment/unit. Call 867-6132 to request a work order. You will need to supply your name, phone and room number, and details of the work needed and/or the situation. If an after-hours emergency occurs, you should contact the Resident Assistant on-duty by calling Police Services 867-6832.

By placing a work order, you give permission for our staff to enter your apartment/unit to fix any problems concerning items that are furnished with your apartment/unit. You do not have to be present. Staff will leave a note on your door to inform you of the status of the repair.

Work Orders are addressed based on the seriousness of the problem (for example, overflowing toilets have a high priority).

Service Animals

If you have a documented disability acknowledged by Access Services you will be eligible to have a service animal in Residential and Dining Services facilities. Each request will be handled on a case-by-case basis by submitting a Request for Accommodations to the Access Services Office. Requests must be submitted to and approved by Access Services and Residential and Dining Services prior to occupancy. Students who do not have approval may be in violation of the pet policy and will need to will have a maximum of 48 hours to find an alternative off campus living arrangement for the pet.

Sexual Misconduct

See the Student Code of Conduct for the full sexual misconduct policy. Also see more about Evergreen’s Sexual Misconduct Response.

Sleeping Space

Sleeping in unassigned areas is prohibited.

Smoke Detectors

Tampering with, disabling, bagging or otherwise impacting the effectiveness of the smoke alarms is prohibited per the International Fire Code regulation 901.8 and Thurston County Fire Code 14.32.120.


Smoking is prohibited in Residential and Dining Services except in designated outdoor areas. A service charge will be assessed to cover the costs of clean-up in rooms/apartments as a result of smoking. Public smoking areas are designated by staff and will be shared with the community at the beginning of the academic year.


Door-to-door solicitation or distribution of promotional materials by anyone who is not a Residential and Dining Services staff member, or Greener Organization officer, is prohibited.

Sporting Equipment

All sporting equipment must be stored within rooms/apartments with the exception of bicycles. Bicycles may be stored in the covered bicycle racks located throughout the premises.


No additional storage space is available beyond your currently rented apartment/unit.


You are prohibited from subletting your apartment/unit/room. No persons other than you may occupy the premises without prior written approval of the Residential and Dining Services Office. Subletting will result in cancellation of your contract and eviction from Evergreen Housing.

Substance Free Housing

The illegal use of alcohol and/or drugs is prohibited in the State of Washington and Evergreen Residential and Dining Services. The purpose of Substance Free is to foster a living environment in which abstinence from alcohol and drugs will be respected and residents can be assured that substance use and/or abuse will not be a factor in their residential lives. All residents of Substance Free Housing agree to the following:

  • The possession and consumption of alcohol and/or illicit drugs is prohibited in Substance Free regardless of a person's age.
  • Residents or guests may not be under the influence of alcohol or any illicit drugs while present in Substance Free Housing.
  • Residential and Dining Services expects that residents living in Substance Free housing will confront any substance violations in their living space, hallways and entryways. If this confrontation is unsuccessful, contact your Resident Assistant or Police services.
  • Residents who use alcohol and/or illicit drugs in restricted areas will receive a warning and/or be referred to arbitration to be held accountable to the community Substance Free standards. If residents are unable or unwilling to resolve their dispute, it may result in their removal from the Substance Free community.
  • It is the responsibility of hosts to ensure that their guests understand and follow the policies and intent of the Substance Free community.

Living in Substance Free is voluntary. If you do not intend to keep drugs and alcohol out of your life, do not sign up for Substance Free.

Water Beds

Water beds are prohibited.


Possessing firearms or other dangerous weapons other than to secure them with police services; the unauthorized use, possession or storage of any explosives, fireworks, dangerous chemicals, or substances; or the use of any instrument designed to cause harm, or realistic replica of such instrument, in such a manner which might reasonably threaten or cause fear or alarm to others is prohibited.

Window Posting

You may post items in your window(s) provided they do not conflict with Evergreen's Student Conduct Code. No posting may hang from or be attached to the exterior of any residential building except on public bulletin boards.


Throwing or dropping any objects from windows or balconies is prohibited. The use of a window as an access point into a space is prohibited.