Research Ethics Guides
The following links provide a variety of ethical frameworks and discussions for research and study about human beings. Some of these documents provide guidance for projects that may not require IRB review and oversight, but that nevertheless require ethical considerations from the researcher.
General human subjects research
- Code of Federal Regulations providing for the protection of human subjects (45 CFR 46).
- National Commission for the Protection of Human Subjects of Biomedical and Behavioral Research. Ethical Principles and Guidelines for the Protection of Human Subjects of Research (Belmont Report). 1979.
- World Medical Association. Declaration of Helsinki: Ethical Principles for Medical Research Involving Human Subjects. Amended 2008.
- Nuremberg Code. 1949.
- Henry K. Beecher. Ethics and Clinical Research. New England Journal of Medicine 274:1354-1360. 1966.
- Hans Jonas. Philosophical Reflections on Experimenting with Human Subjects. Daedalus 98:219-247. 1969.
Human subjects research and the Internet
- Florida Atlantic University. Guidelines for Computer & Internet-based Human Subjects Research. 2011.
- Rebecca Armstrong. Human Subjects Research and the Internet: Ethical Dilemmas. Research Review. University of Texas Office of Research Administration. 2003.
- American Anthropological Association. Statement on Ethics. 2012.
- Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
- American Educational Research Association. Code of Ethics.
- Association of Institutional Research. Code of Ethics.
Health and counseling
- Standards for Privacy of Individually Identifiable Health Information (part of Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).
- American Psychological Association. Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct. Amended 2010.
Indigenous peoples and governments
- Arizona Cooperative Extension. University of Arizona. Research in Indian Country. 2008.
- A. Harding, B. Harper, D. Stone, C. O'Neill, P. Berger, S. Harris, J. Donatuto. "Conducting Research with Tribal Communities: Sovereignty, Ethics, and Data-Sharing Issues." Environmental Health Perspectives 120:1. January 2012
- Indigenous Peoples Speciality Group. Association of American Geographers. Declaration of Key Questions about Research Ethics with Indigenous Communities.
- Northwest Portland Area Indian Health Board. Conducting Research in Indian Country.
Journalism and documentary media production
- Society of Professional Journalists. Code of Ethics.
- Center for Social Media, American University School of Communication. Honest Truths: Documentary Filmmakers on Ethical Challenges in Their Work. 2009.
- Oral History Association. Principles and Best Practices. 2009.
Public opinion research
- American Association for Public Opinion Research. AAPOR Code of Professional Ethics and Practices. 2015.