Placement File Information
Sending Placement Files to Prospective Employers
- Placement Files will be sent from The Evergreen State College Field Placement Office directly to employing officials at the request of the candidate.
- Requests to the Placement Office may be made by email to the Placement Office, phone: (360) 867-6573, or (360) 867-6856; or fax: (360) 867-6575
- Requests made for jobs in Washington State requires only the name of the School District. All of out state requests require a complete mailing address.
- It is recommended that all new placement files have a minimum of three letters of recommendation and should include a letter from your student teaching cooperating/mentor teacher, your student teaching college supervisor and a letter from the building principal.
- The Initial Placement File Fee is $50.00 and is included in your program fees. This includes payment for the first five files to be sent. The fee for each additional request is $8.00.
- Placement files will be processed and mailed within five working days of your request - most requests will be mailed within two days. You will be sent an email advising you when your file was sent.
- Placement files will be billed directly to Student Accounts for any fees that occur; please ensure that your account is updated. Send new contact information to Student Accounts or phone (360) 867-6447.
The Placement File is a portfolio of professional training and education. School Districts require that the official Placement File be sent from the prospective employee's college at the time of application for a position.
Placement Files consist of professional letters of recommendation, a résumé, an academic preparation page,and a candidate's page. The initial fee for a Placement File is $50.00 which includes the fee for the first five files sent. The fee for each additional request (after the first five) is $8.00.
Placement files are sent to prospective employers for teaching positions and other career opportunities in the education field. The Placement File will remain permanently in the Field Placement Office at The Evergreen State College. It is highly recommended for those seeking jobs more than one year after graduation that the placement file be updated with a new résumé, revised candidate's page, and, if possible, at least one current letter of recommendation.
Creating Your Placement File
References are important determinants in your being considered for a position and should be obtained only from persons who know you well enough to evaluate your teaching potential or performance. Character references, such as those from ministers, friends, etc., are not used. Three references are suggested, with a maximum of ten letters for your placement file. Your initial 3 letters of reference should be from the following professionals: Student Teaching College Supervisor, Student Teaching Cooperating Mentor Teacher and a letter from the Building Principal where you student taught. It is suggested that you obtain letters of recommendation from both your fall and spring Student Teaching Cooperating Mentor Teachers.
Recommendation Forms are available in the Master in Teaching Placement Office or you may download the forms in Word or PDF format. You are responsible for giving these forms to the people who will write letters of reference for you. The letter can be written on separate paper, but the Recommendation Form must be signed and dated by both parties and should be marked confidential as well.
A résumé should be a well-written, concise, informative summary of your professional experience, training and community service related to the education field. One page is sufficient, although 2-3 pages are acceptable if you have significant experience, which would not fit on one page.
Listed below are required pieces (*) and suggested information for a résumé.
- * Your name, address, telephone and email address
- Employment Objectives: the type and level of positions you are pursuing
- * Certification and Endorsements
- * Education: Most recent education first with colleges you've attended, locations, diplomas, degrees earned, major area of emphasis and majors and minors if applicable.
- * If your major is unusual, or if you feel an employer might not understand what the major encompasses, include a brief description of the program.
- * Graduate Information: indicate degree(s) received, area of specialization, thesis or dissertation title.
- * Employment: Most recent experience should be listed first. In the case of teaching experience include information related to kinds of courses and units developed and taught, the age level of students, the type of school and so forth. Student Teaching, internships and teaching assistantships should be included and so identified.
- School Administrators are sometimes concerned when they see gaps in your employment history on a résumé. Whenever possible, you should communicate somewhere on the résumé what you were doing during times you were not employeed.
- Personal Information: Travel experience, hobbies and recreation activities, particularly if related to the type of position you are applying for. Special skills, significant honors, scholarships, awards and community service (especially with a leadership role) are significant items in a résumé.
- Professional Activities: Indicate memberships, speeches, publications, etc., related to your professional preparation as well as relevant conferences and trainings.
- References: List those people who may be contacted by your potential employer, and who can speak to your professional preparation or work experience. Simply stating, "References furnished upon request" is acceptable. Be prepared to have both professional and personal/character references.
The academic preparation page is designed to present an overview of your formal education to school district administrators. It highlights your endorsement areas, and other relevant coursework. The Evergreen State College Field Placement Office cannot make copies or send out transcripts from Evergreen or other colleges or universities that you have attended. The information on your academic preparation page will provide a complete academic history to prospective employers.
When you need to request an official Evergreen Transcript for an employer, please log-in to your Evergreen my.evergreen.edu account to order and pay the appropriate fee. If you can not access your account, contact Registration and Records by emailing Registration and Records or calling (360) 867-6180.
Academic Preparation Page Guidelines:
- List courses by title not by course number, list quarter or semester credit hours for each course and list school.
- List courses that you will take or are currently enrolled in and asterick that the course is still in progress. Once course is completed, you can update your academic preparation page.
- Organize coursework by MIT Coursework and by Endorsements.
The primary purpose of the Candidate's Page is to elaborate on your résumé and to present your unique educational philosophies, qualifications and professional skills.
Candidate's Page Guidelines:
- One page in length (maximum)
- Introduce yourself.
- Discuss your accomplishments and experiences relevant to the education profession.
- Discuss educational theories, current teaching practices, and classroom management techniques, which reflect your personal teaching style.
- Discuss your goals as a professional educator. How do you want to impact your students? What, in the field of education, are you passionate about?
- Conclude with a statement of appreciation.