Student Teaching

Student teaching helps you earn vital experience for leading your own group of students by working with current teachers in their own classrooms.

Student Teaching Timeline

Fall Student Teaching

  • Start your application process in February, year one.
  • Get placed and meeting with your mentor teacher before the end of the school year.
  • Attend in-service days in August with your teacher.
  • Teach for 10 weeks, finishing up around Thanksgiving.
  • Complete and submit the edTPA for your endorsement area.

Spring Student Teaching

  • Submit again in October, year two.
  • Start spring teaching the week of year two, mid/late-March
  • Take the spring break of the school district
  • Teach for 10 weeks, finishing up in early June

Application Process

Attend the student teaching workshop in Winter quarter of year one to find out what you need to do to apply.

Download the 2015-16 student teaching application (Word).

An important part of the application process is your academic preparation page. This document is a snapshot of your background, and will be used throughout your teaching career when you look for new jobs. Learn more.

Student Teaching Handbooks

The student teaching handbook is for you and your mentor teacher to understand the guidelines and process.

Preparing for Student Teaching

You’ll find out by the end of year one where you’ll be teaching the following fall. This gives you a chance to connect with your teaching mentor and principal.

School districts usually have in-service days in August. Attending in-service is a great opportunity to train and to meet the people you’ll be working with.

Preparation questions

We’ve compiled this list of helpful questions for you to ask your mentor teacher or principal:

Working with others in the school

  • How do I address the principal: Ms., Mrs., Mr., Miss, Dr., first name?
  • If I want to talk to the principal, should I drop in the office, write a note, or ask for an appointment?
  • May I contact people in the district offices or should I go through the principal's office with my request?
  • Whom should I talk to about personal concerns involving myself and other staff members?
  • What should I do if I am having personal problems with a team or department member?
  • Who will be evaluating me?
  • Who in the building can assist me in dealing with a difficult parent?
  • What can I ask an educational assistant to do for me?
  • What should I do when I don't know what to do?

Building and supplies

  • How do I get supplies for my room?
  • What should I do if my room is too hot or too cold?
  • Where is the copy machine?
  • Are there restrictions on how many copies I can make?
  • Is there a building handbook I should use?

Field trips

  • What should I do if I want to take my students on a field trip?
  • How do I get a bus for a field trip?
  • Can parents drive on field trips?

Student concerns

  • What should I do with a student that I cannot discipline?
  • What are my responsibilities if I have a special education student in my classroom?
  • What are my responsibilities if I have a gifted student in my classroom?
  • If I feel that a student is wearing inappropriate clothing, what can I do?
  • If a student in my class is experiencing emotional/academic difficulties, who in the building do I contact?
  • If I am aware of a tragedy one of my students is experiencing, to whom do I report my suspicions?

Illness and absence

  • What do I do if I need to be away from school to attend a meeting or conference?
  • What should I do if I am ill and cannot come to work?
  • What can I do if I get sick in the middle of the school day?

Placement Districts

You will be placed at a school at one of the following school districts. These districts have been selected because they are within approximately 45 miles from Evergreen's Olympia campus.

Placements are organized through the Master in Teaching office. Placements are selected to expose you to different environments as a teacher. At least one placement will be in a socioeconomically diverse setting.

  • Grays Harbor County
    • Elma
    • Montesano
  • Lewis County
    • Adna
    • Centralia
    • Chehalis
    • Napavine
    • Pe Ell
  • Mason County
    • Hood Canal
    • Mary M. Knight
    • North Mason
    • Pioneer
    • Shelton
    • Southside
  • Pierce County
    • Bethel
    • Clover Park
    • Fife
    • Puyallup
    • Steilacoom
    • Sumner
    • Tacoma
    • University Place
  • Thurston County
    • Griffin
    • North Thurston
    • Olympia
    • Rainier
    • Rochester
    • Tenino
    • Tumwater
    • Yelm

The Education Field Experience Office may need to use other school districts when no other appropriate placements are possible.