Motor Pool


An accident is any damage to person or property. All accidents must be reported to the Motor Pool even if no other vehicles are involved and the College reserves the right to revoke a motor pool permit  if an accident occurs with one of the College vehicles and the driver is at fault.

  • When conditions and/or regulations permit, move to the shoulder or side of the roadway to prevent further damage.
  • Contact the local authorities and request an accident investigation if there is more than $700 damage to a vehicle or if anyone is injured. If you are not sure who to call, call "911" and they will send the appropriate authority.
  • Notify TESC Police Services at (360) 867-6000 if anyone is injured or if there is major damage involved.
  • Use the Vehicle Accident Checklist (in the Accident package located in the glove compartment) to write down necessary information such as the names and addresses of witnesses, vehicle information and the other driver's insurance data.
  • Do not give statements or discuss the details of the accident with anyone other than police or college authorities.
  • Complete the State Accident Report form (SF-137) found in the accident package in the vehicle) and submit to the Motor Pool office within 24 hours of your return. Note that this form requires the signature of the responsible faculty member or supervisor.


The college does not carry comprehensive or collision insurance on motor pool vehicles. Liability coverage is provided by our participation in the Washington State Self Insurance Program. This program will pay for damages to the other driver's property or injuries sustained in an accident when the driver of the college's vehicle is at fault while operating the vehicle in good faith on official college or state business.

In the event of an accident, the budgetary unit, i.e. Academics, Athletics, First People's, Computing and Communication, Advising, that rented the vehicle will be responsible for the costs of the repair unless the damage is due to normal wear and tear or is covered by another vehicle's insurance.

Driver liability: If an accident occurs due to the gross negligence of the driver, i.e. driving under the influence of alcohol, reckless driving, etc. or if the vehicles was not being used for "official college or state business", the State may elect not to defend the driver in the event a lawsuit is filed. The driver would then be responsible for providing his/her own defense.

The State may also choose to subrogate part or all of the claim to the driver or actually file suit against the driver to recover damages if there is evidence of gross negligence or unofficial use.

Drivers are not required to carry personal liability insurance but, because of the limitations of the State's Self Insurance program, are urged to contact their personal insurance carrier to ensure they are covered while driving college vehicles.