Math Event Announces Team Winners
Published: December 07, 2011 09:50 AM
High School Math Tournament Hosted by The Evergreen State College Draws Wide Participation, Promotes Excellence in Quantitative Reasoning and Skills.
A High School Math Event was hosted by The Evergreen State College on Saturday, with support from a grant from the National Science Foundation and tests provided by mathleague.org.
There were 65 participating students from six high schools [Henry Foss HS, North Thurston HS, Olympia HS, River Ridge HS, Stadium HS, and West Linn HS (from West Linn, OR)]. Seventeen students qualified to go on the State Championship round, which will be held at The Evergreen State College on April 21, 2012.
Co-Directors, and Evergreen faculty, Vauhn Foster-Grahler and Brian Walter handed out awards to individual winners by grade level, to overall individual winners, to the best overall school teams and to the best Freshman/Sophomore teams.
Here are the results:
Overall Team Winners:
- Championship Team: Olympia HS
- 2nd Place Team: River Ridge HS
- 3rd Place Team: North Thurston HS
Freshman/Sophomore Team Winners:
- 1st Place Frosh/Soph Team: Olympia HS
- 2nd Place Frosh/Soph Team: River Ridge HS
- 3rd Place Frosh/Soph Team: West Linn HS
Overall Individual Winners:
- 1st Place: Ray Ma, Olympia HS (impressive because he's just a Junior)
- 2nd Place: Ernest Gu, Olympia HS (extra-impressive because he's just a Freshman!)
- 3rd Place: Gehn Ferguson, Olympia HS
Grade Level Winners:
- 9th grade 1st Place: Ernest Gu, Olympia HS
- 9th grade 2nd Place: Emily Yeh, Henry Foss HS
- 9th grade 3rd Place: Ian Culhane, Olympia HS
- 10th grade 1st Place: Sherwin Shabdar, Olympia HS
- 10th grade 2nd Place: Eric Sundberg, River Ridge HS
- 10th grade 3rd Place: Dante Huerta, River Ridge HS
- 11th grade 1st Place: Ray Ma, Olympia HS
- 11th grade 2nd Place: David Cregg, North Thurston HS
- 11th grade 3rd Place: (tie) Jooneil Ahn, North Thurston HS, and Scott Vannerson, North Thurston HS
- 12th grade 1st Place: Gehn Ferguson, Olympia HS
- 12th grade 2nd Place: James Lee, Olympia HS
- 12th grade 3rd Place: Chris Han, Stadium HS
The tournament consisted of the following tests (for more information about these tests and how they’re scored, see http://mathleague.org/hstests.php): ·
- Team Test (20 minutes for 10 problems, solved as a team, calculators allowed) ·
- Target Test (individual; 8 problems, given 2 at a time with 10 minutes per pair of problems, no calculators) ·
- Sprint Test (individual; 60 minutes for 30 multiple-choice problems, calculators allowed) ·
- Relay Test (5 multi-part problems, each problem solved as a 3-person team in individual stages, no calculators)
As an innovative public liberal arts college, Evergreen emphasizes collaborative, interdisciplinary learning across significant differences. Our academic community engages students in defining and thinking critically about their learning. Evergreen supports and benefits from local and global commitment to social justice, diversity, environmental stewardship and service in the public interest.
Jason Wettstein Media & Community Relations Manager
The Evergreen State College