Championship Math Tournament Results
Math Event Announces Team Winners from Saturday Tournament
The Washington State mathleague.org Championship Math Meet was held on Saturday, April 21. Hosted by The Evergreen State College, with support from a grant from the National Science Foundation and tests provided by mathleague.org, the event drew 23 participating students from 3 high schools (North Thurston, Olympia, and River Ridge).
In order to compete in the state-level meet, students had to qualify at another meet earlier in the year; also held at Evergreen last December. Twelve students qualified to go on to the national championship round, which will be held in Kansas City, MO on May 18, 2012.
Co-Directors, and Evergreen faculty, Vauhn Foster-Grahler and Brian Walter handed out awards to individual winners by grade level, to overall individual winners, and to the best overall school teams .
Overall Team Winners:
- Championship Team: Olympia High School
- 2nd Place Team: North Thurston High School
- 3rd Place Team: River Ridge High School
Overall Individual Winners:
- 1st Place: Ray Ma, Olympia High School
- 2nd Place: Ernest Gu, Olympia High School
- 3rd Place: Simon Baumgardt-Wellander, Olympia High School
Grade Level Winners:
- 9th grade 1st Place: Ernest Gu, Olympia High School
- 9th grade 2nd Place: Ian Culhane, Olympia High School
- 10th grade 1st Place: Sherwin Shabdar, Olympia High School
- 10th grade 2nd Place: Dante Huerta, River Ridge High School
- 11th grade 1st Place: Ray Ma, Olympia High School
- 11th grade 2nd Place: Scott Vannerson, North Thurston High School
- 11th grade 3rd Place: David Shorten, Olympia High School
- 12th grade 1st Place: Simon Baumgardt-Wellander, Olympia High School
- 12th grade 2nd Place: James Lee, Olympia High School
- 12th grade 3rd Place: Emily Gangsei, North Thurston High School