Creation of New Planning Units
- Faculty Handbook Listed as 7.101 within Faculty Handbook
Faculty wishing to create a new planning unit should apply in writing to the Curricul Dean and Planning Unit Coordinators, who will make a recommendation to the deans and provost, who will make the final decision.
The criteria for new planning units are: 1) a clearly articulated intellectual and curricular focus for the proposed new Planning Unit that reflects breadth of interdisciplinary teaching and learning. The area should not, therefore, be composed of a single discipline or a set of closely-related disciplines, and should support the college-wide curriculum. 2) a minimum faculty membership of fifteen faculty, with a list of the initial faculty who wish to become a part of the proposed new planning unit. 3) a process for sending 20% of the faculty to Core programs each year and 20% to Inter-Area programs.
The request to form a new planning unit should:
1. provide a rationale for the proposed new planning unit
2. provide a summary of the discussions with all of the existing planning unit(s) with evidence of their support
3. discuss the impact of the proposed planning unit on the college-wide curriculum.
4. provide a long-range curriculum and advising plan for the area, including all resource requirements and a process for annual review of the plan.