End of Year Check Out
As the end of the year approaches and you prepare for summer, we want you to know what to expect at check out. Last year, many residents incurred unnecessary charges for cleaning, keys, or not checking out properly. We want to make the check out process smooth for you. Review the information below; if anything is unclear please ask questions at the RAD Office.
What to do before check out
- Meet with your RA and your room/suite/apartment mates about cleaning standards and how to properly donate any unwanted items.
- Talk with roommates about damages to shared spaces. Make a cleaning plan for these spaces.
- Exchange summer contact information with your roommates and make a plan for communicating if you receive charges for shared space.
- Return furniture to original arrangement.
- Disconnect or transfer landline telephone, cable or internet service not provided by housing. Return modem box to appropriate vendor.
- Update your mail forwarding address here.
- Fill out our quick three question exit survey.
Clean your room/apartment/unit using the following checklist
- Remove all trash and recycling, scrub trash and recycling bins inside and out.
- Clean all tile/vinyl/laminate floors. Remove any stains on carpets.
- Mirrors, windows, & sills: Remove gum, stickers, food, paint, or anything else and wipe down.
- Ceiling, walls & doors: Remove posters, stickers, tacks, tape, nails, etc.
- Desks, bookshelves, dressers, cabinets & furniture: Empty and clean.
- Mattress: Shake off any debris, and wipe down.
- Extra Furnishings: Remove all household furnishings that you brought.
- Take your usable items to the PODS for redistribution to people in need, your extra food, clothes, household, and cleaning items. More information on the PODS can be found here.
- Grounds: Pick up & remove trash from around your unit.
- Toilet & Sink: Clean, wipe all counters and surfaces of cabinets.
- Shower & Tub Room: Remove all soap scum, dirt and mold from shower/tub. Take shower curtain down, using a mild soap and sponge wash off any soap scum or mold, rinse and re-hang.
- Lounges and recycling, composting and trash collection areas inside of A, B, C and D will be closed on June 3rd. All recycling, composting and trash should be taken to the main collection areas in the courtyard.
How to check out
- Check out by 5:00 pm on Friday, June 14, 2013.
- You must check out at the RAD Office (see hours below).
- Remove all your belongings from your room. Check your mailbox for the last time.
- Clean your room.
- Lock your door(s) & window(s), and proceed with all of your keys to the office.
- Through Tuesday, June 11, check out at the Residential and Dining Services Front Office, 3rd floor of A-Building during normal business hours 9 am to 7 pm or by calling the on duty RA after hours until 11 pm.
- Wednesday, June 12, check out at the Check Out Office on the 2nd floor of A-Building, from 9 am to 9 pm.
- Thursday, June 13, check out at the Check Out Office on the 2nd floor of A-Building, from 9 am to 11 pm.
- Friday, June 14, check out at the Check Out Office on the 2nd floor of A-Building, from 9 am to 5 pm.
- Keys must be returned to Residential and Dining Services at the time of your check out. You must still check out even if you have lost your keys.
- Because we provide housing over the summer to students and conferences, we cannot allow keys to be mailed or brought back later.
What happens after check out
- A room assessment will be conducted after you check out and any cleaning/damage charges will be posted on your student account.
- By June 19, you will be notified by email to your Evergreen email address of any damage or cleaning charges that will be billed to your student account.
- All residents of the apartment/unit will be billed equally for cleaning/damage costs to the common areas unless one person responds using their Evergreen email taking full responsibility for the damage Wednesday June 26, 2013.
- If you are concerned about someone you live with not taking responsibility for charges after the school year ends, you should talk with your Resident Director as soon as possible before June 14.
- Residential and Dining Services provides loaner vacuums.
- As the end of eval week approaches, vacuums are in greater demand, please plan accordingly.
- We do not provide cleaning supplies.
- All bikes will be removed from bike racks and impounded after 2 pm on June 15.
- IT Bus Service will be suspended to the A-Building loop from the last run on Wednesday, June 13 through the last run on Saturday, June 16, 2012. The nearest stop is the Library Loop.
- Parking will not be allowed in any fire lanes and will be strictly enforced.
- Contact the Greener Store for UPS shipping rates if you want to ship large packages home.
- Summer resident room transfers will be coordinated through the Residential and Dining Services Office prior to check out.
- Choose to bring usable items to the Pods to be redistributed to those in need.
- Start early, plan ahead to reduce waste.
- Recycle all items early. The bins located throughout Residential and Dining Services fill quickly.
Your Residential and Dining Services contract ends at 5:00 pm on Friday June 14, 2013.
- Graduating seniors can get permission to check out before noon on Saturday June 15 by emailing email@example.com to make arrangements.
- Anyone who does not check out by 5:00 pm on June 14, 2013 will be evicted, billed $60 for improper check out, billed a $300 late check out fee, charged for lock change(s), and charged an impound cost for storage and handling of items in room.
If you have any questions, speak with your RA or stop by the RAD Services office on the 3rd floor of A-Building between 9 am and 7 pm or call (360) 867-6132.