Types of Financial Aid Offered

Funding for some programs (e.g. the Federal Perkins Loan, the SEOG, ENG, STW, and Work-Study) is very limited. Students demonstrating need may or may not receive this funding. Please file the FAFSA before the priority deadline and promptly return any materials that you receive from your financial aid office in order to help us provide you with the best possible aid. Funds are also awarded on a first come, first serve basis.

As an Evergreen Student You may be Offered a Variety of Financial Aid Including:

  • Gift Aid-grants and tuition waivers
  • Employment
  • Loans
  • Scholarships
  • The TEACH Grant

Gift Aid

Grants and tuition waivers are gift aid and do not need to be repaid. They are awarded on the basis of financial need.

Evergreen Need Grant (ENG)

The Evergreen Need Grant is funded by a need-based grant program and is available to eligible graduate and undergraduate students who are residents of Washington when funds are available. Evergreen Need Grant will be prorated for less than full-time enrollment.  Please file your FAFSA early and submit all requested documents to increase your possibility of receiving this grant.

Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant is the largest of the federal grant programs. It is available only to undergraduate students. Eligibility for the Pell grant is determined using the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) that is calculated when you complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  Pell grant disbursements are pro-rated based on your level of enrollment.

Federal Pell Grant Duration of Eligibility- Public Law 112-74 amended HEA section 401 (c)(5) to reduce the duration of a student's eligibility to receive a Federal Pell Grant from 12 semesters or 18 quarters of FULL TIME enrollment. Duration may be prorated based on less than full-time enrollment, but cannot exceed 600%. This provision applies to all Federal Pell Grant eligible students effective with the 2012-13 award year. The calculation of the duration of a student's eligibility will include all years of the student's receipt of Federal Pell Grant funding. This change in the duration of students' Federal Pell Grant eligibility is not limited only to students who received their first Federal Pell Grant on or after the 2008-2009 award year, as the HEA previously provided when the duration of eligibility was 18 semesters.

More information about calculating your Pell Grant Lifetime Eligibility.

More information about the Pell Grant.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

The SEOG is a need-based grant program available to undergraduate non-resident students. Priority is given to full-time students having exceptional need.

More information about SEOG.

State Need Grant (SNG)

The SNG is a need-based grant available to eligible undergraduate residents of Washington with exceptional need. If you are not an undergraduate, and you are offered a State Need Grant, please contact the Financial Aid Office immediately.

The SNG award amount is set by the Washington Student Achievement Council (WSAC) each spring, so the amount of your offer might be estimated and subject to change pending the approval of the Washington State budget by the state legislature.

The SNG program requires that that you enroll in and complete at least 12 credit hours per quarter as a full-time student, at least 9 credit hours per quarter as a 3/4 time student, at least 6 credit hours per quarter as a half-time student and at least 3 credit hours as a less-than-half-time student. You may jeopardize future disbursements if you lose credit in any one quarter of the academic year in which the SNG award was made

This grant can be prorated for less than full time enrollment.

More information about the SNG from Ready. Set. Grad.

Washington State Tuition Waiver (STW)

The State Tuition Waiver is funded by a need-based state program available to eligible full-time undergraduate students who are residents of Washington. If your enrollment or residency status changes to less than full-time, your eligibility for this award will change. Please notify the Financial Aid Office if this is the case.


Students will find opportunities to work on the Evergreen campus and in the community through the Student Employment Office. Financial need is required for Federal, State and Evergreen Work-Study programs. Some opportunities for non-need based employment are also available.


The federal or state government subsidizes part-time jobs for eligible work-study students. Available jobs can foster a wide variety of skills and responsibilities. The amount of work-study award varies and is determined by financial need and availability of funds.

The work-study programs are need-based and require that you secure and work at a job on or off campus and maintain satisfactory performance on the job. Earnings are based on rate of pay and number of total hours worked throughout the academic year. Since work-study money is earned - students may or may not earn their entire award. Earnings are based on rate of pay and number of total hours worked throughout the academic year. During the academic year, students may work no more than 19 hours per week during the quarter and may work up to 40 hours during evaluation week and breaks between quarters. Students are responsible for applying for available positions.

More information from the Student Employment Office.


Students and families sometimes need help to cover the costs of attending college. We have several kinds of loans that might be helpful if you are experiencing a gap between your available funds and your needs.

Federal Direct Subsidized Loan is like the Federal Stafford Subsidized Loan you may have previously borrowed and is for students with demonstrated financial need, as determined by federal regulations.  No interest is charged on subsidized loans while you are in school at least half-time, during your grace period, and during deferment periods.

The Direct Unsubsidized Loan  is like the Federal Stafford Unsubsidized Loan you may have previously borrowed and this loan is not based on financial need.  Interest will be charged during all periods of this loan.

Federal Perkins Loans are low-interest, long-term loans offered to needy undergraduate students. The Evergreen State College is the lender for the Perkins Loan and administers the program according to federal regulations. Evergreen's Perkins Loan fund is a revolving fund. In other words, when loans are repaid, funds are then available for future Perkins Loan borrowers.

PLUS Loans are parent loans that are available under the Direct PLUS Loan program. These loans are low-interest loans available to parents of dependent students. Interest is charged during all periods and repayment begins 60 days after the last disbursement of the loan for the academic year.

If you are a dependent student and you have been offered a Parent Plus loan, you, the student, will receive instructions and information via your Evergreen email on how your parents can apply for this loan with the Federal Department of Education. Please forward this information to your parents.


Awarded on a competitive basis. Criteria vary from scholarship to scholarship; some are strictly merit based and others combine merit and financial need. The Enrollment Services Office no longer publishes an undergraduate scholarships brochure. Please visit the Undergraduate Scholarships & Tuition Awards page for more information about scholarships.


Students enrolled in the Masters in Teaching (MIT) program at The Evergreen State College are the only students eligible to apply to receive the Federal TEACH grant. Students admitted to the MIT program will be notified via email about how to apply for the TEACH grant. Students that apply for TEACH will be offered the grant once all necessary transcripts and evaluation materials are reviewed. Please refer to the Department of Education website below for more information about how to qualify for the TEACH grant and the details and stipulations required of a student who receives a TEACH grant.

Information about the TEACH Grant from the Department of Education

Enrollment Services receives scholarship announcements along with applications from many outside sources. Explore these other scholarship opportunities.