You will need adequate experience in social science, natural science, and statistics before you start MES.
You may apply to MES before completing all prerequisites. These courses must be completed within the five years prior to starting MES.
- Four (4) quarter hour or three (3) semester hour credits are required for each discipline below. Coursework may be lower or upper division.
- A 2.0 GPA or satisfactory narrative evaluation is required.
General statistics courses or research methods courses that include a significant statistics component should fulfill this requirement. Course content must include elementary descriptive and inferential statistics, including basic probability, binomial and/or normal distributions, null hypothesis testing and p-values, and some specific tests (e.g. t-test, chi-square test, regression).
In order to achieve a high level of success in MES we recommend taking a live statistics course (not online).
Social sciences might include economics, sociology, political science, anthropology and human geography.
Natural sciences might include biology, ecology, geology, botany and chemistry.
How to Meet Your Prerequisites
If admitted, you will need to provide proof of completion before you start the degree. Your application will look stronger if all prerequisites are completed or in progress at the time of application.
If you are missing any prerequisites, check out a community college or other regionally-accredited institution near you (or online). Most colleges allow you to take some credits without being admitted to a degree program. See below for a list of specific upcoming Evergreen programs that are accepted as prerequisites.
Waiving Prerequisite Course Requirements
Professional experience may substitute for specific prerequisites. If you need a prerequisite waived, we suggest adding an additional attachment to your application with a short statement explaining why one or more prerequisite requirement should be waived.
If you aren’t sure if you've met a specific prerequisite, please contact us.
Finish Your Prerequisites at Evergreen
You can take up to 8 credits at Evergreen without applying for undergraduate admission. The programs listed below will be accepted as MES prerequisites. Find out more about enrolling as a “special” student.
- From the Ground Up: Writing Natural History (8 credits)
- Medicine is a Social Science: Disease, Health and Health Care (8 credits)
- Place, Memory, Narrative: Northwest Coast Native Art and Literature (8 or 16 credits)
- The Power of Stories: Language, Communication, and Leadership for Creating Change (8 or 12 credits)
- State & Local Government: Community, Communication, and Change (8 credits)
- Psychology and Social Justice: Making Change Happen (8 or 12 credits)
- Justice at Work: Labor, Civil Rights, Immigration and the Law (8, 12 or 16 credits)
If you have been admitted to MES and are required to take more than 6 credits of prerequisites, you may be eligible for financial aid. Contact Financial Aid for more information. Here is a list of other resources for meeting the prerequisites.