Math Event Announces Team Winners from Saturday Tournament
The Washington State mathleague.org Championship Math Meet was held on Saturday, April 21. Hosted by The Evergreen State College, with support from a grant from the National Science Foundation and tests provided by mathleague.org, the event drew 23 participating students from 3 high schools (North Thurston, Olympia, and River Ridge).
In order to compete in the state-level meet, students had to qualify at another meet earlier in the year; also held at Evergreen last December. Twelve students qualified to go on to the national championship round, which will be held in Kansas City, MO on May 18, 2012.
Co-Directors, and Evergreen faculty, Vauhn Foster-Grahler and Brian Walter handed out awards to individual winners by grade level, to overall individual winners, and to the best overall school teams .
Overall Team Winners:
- Championship Team: Olympia High School
- 2nd Place Team: North Thurston High School
- 3rd Place Team: River Ridge High School
Overall Individual Winners:
- 1st Place: Ray Ma, Olympia High School
- 2nd Place: Ernest Gu, Olympia High School
- 3rd Place: Simon Baumgardt-Wellander, Olympia High School
Grade Level Winners:
- 9th grade 1st Place: Ernest Gu, Olympia High School
- 9th grade 2nd Place: Ian Culhane, Olympia High School
- 10th grade 1st Place: Sherwin Shabdar, Olympia High School
- 10th grade 2nd Place: Dante Huerta, River Ridge High School
- 11th grade 1st Place: Ray Ma, Olympia High School
- 11th grade 2nd Place: Scott Vannerson, North Thurston High School
- 11th grade 3rd Place: David Shorten, Olympia High School
- 12th grade 1st Place: Simon Baumgardt-Wellander, Olympia High School
- 12th grade 2nd Place: James Lee, Olympia High School
- 12th grade 3rd Place: Emily Gangsei, North Thurston High School