Offerings that have been cancelled for this year or next year.
No courses or programs are available for the options you have selected.
Summer offerings are listed beginning in late January or early February each year.
Fuse the art of creative and critical writing.
Bring together creative and critical writing — fusing rigorous literary study with the practice of writing as an art form. You will become a flexible, highly skilled writer and reader. Working in dialogue with authors from a variety of historical, cultural and aesthetic traditions, together we will reimagine the world of literary possibilities.
- Create and collaborate with a community of dynamic thinkers and writers
- Discover the diversity of literary traditions and innovations
- Engage in cultural and intellectual exchange through writing, reading, and translation
- Explore intersections of cultural and political discourse
- Pursue the creative process in the development of artistic mastery
- Experience the excitement of developing a complex manuscript from a blank page to a finished work
Advanced work will prepare you to go further - on your own as a practicing writer; through graduate study in creative writing, literature, library science, communications or the arts; and into careers in related fields.
Programs offered 2019-20
- Temporality, Word and Image
- French Language, Arts, and Culture: Dark Romantics
- Student-Originated Studies: Critical Theory + Critical Practice
- Reading and Writing LGBTQ Narratives of Resistance and Resilience
- Inscribing the Body: Embodiment and the Performance of Identity in Creative Writing
- Highway 101 Revisited: History, Literature, Music, and Ecology
Programs planned 2020-24
- Literary Arts Foundations: Texts and Context
- Literary Arts Foundations: Water into Wine
- Literary Arts Foundations: Decision/Making
- Re/Mix Re/Verse Re/Mediate: Creative Writing, Environmental Literature, Media Studies
- Shakespeare: Literature & Performance
- Writing in Translation
- Making Meaning: Autobiography and Memoir
- Advanced Writing: Capstone in Literary Arts and the Humanities
- Advanced Literary Arts: Narrative Silences
- Advanced Literary Arts: Creative Nonfiction