Work and Volunteering

On-Campus Jobs: International students may work on campus up to 19 hours a week, or up to 40 hours a week during break and evaluation weeks. You must be enrolled full-time. You may also work during summer quarter if you are enrolled for at least 4 credits. You may apply for any job that does not have Work Study as part of the description. Work Study jobs are only for U.S. students who have financial aid loans.

Off-Campus Jobs: In general, you may not work off campus. However, students who experience a severe economic change in their family’s resources can talk to the International Programs Office about options.

Internships: It is possible for F and J visa students to do an off-campus internship for academic credit, paid or unpaid. This is called Curricular Practical Training (CPT) if you are an F visa student and simply an internship if you are a J visa student. You must speak to the International Programs Office to arrange these.

Internships: It is possible for an F visa student only to do an off-campus internship, paid or unpaid, after you graduate with your degree. This is called Optional Practical Training (OPT) and you must speak to the International Programs Office. This is not an option for J visa students.

On-Campus Job Positions: When you log in to your My Evergreen account, you then click on CODa (Community Opportunities Database) to look for on-campus, non-work study jobs. You will find a list of positions that you can apply for.

Volunteering: You may volunteer at hundreds of organizations off campus according to your interests. You cannot be paid, and you must be enrolled in Evergreen classes for at least 12 credits. The Center for Community Based Learning and Action on campus is a great resource for volunteering opportunities. Sem II, E-2125. Or look on your Evergreen account at the CODa link for volunteer and work opportunities.

Forms to Complete When You Are Hired:

  1. Student and Temporary Action Form (employer)
  2. I-9 Form (Student Employment Office)
  3. W-4 Form for tax deduction: (Student Employment or employer office)

For your I-9 Form completion, you will need to bring your passport, visa, I-20 or DS-2019, and a Social Security Card.

Getting a Social Security Card:

If you already have a Social Security Number and Card, bring it to the Student Employment office so a certified copy may be made as part of your work eligibility documentation.

If you do not have a Social Security Number and Card:

After you have been offered a job, ask your on or off-campus employer for a signed letter that briefly describes your job offer, position and hours per week.

Bring this letter to the Coordinator of International Programs to be verified for your file. The Coordinator will then prepare a separate Certification Letter and a SEVIS printout verifying your U.S. address for you to take to the Social Security Office to apply for a Social Security Card.

The Social Security Office is located at 402 Yauger Way SW, in Olympia (West Side), close to the intersection of Harrison and Cooper Pt. Road. Take the #48 bus, and get off near Safeway and walk west to Yauger Way. You do not need to make an appointment. The office is open from 8 to 5 pm weekdays.

Take your Certification Letter and SEVIS printout from the Coordinator of International Programs, your passport, visa and I-20 or DS-2019 to the Social Security Office.

You may use a letter from the Social Security Office to temporarily fulfill the ID requirement until you receive the original Social Security Card in the mail.

Once you receive your card, bring it to the Student Employment office so that a copy may be made for your file.


International Programs
Library 2153-2122
Michael Clifthorne,

Student Employment Office
Scott Elliot, Library 1102B