Becoming a Driver
You must have a permit before you can use any vehicle from the fleet.
To be eligible for a permit, you must meet all of the following conditions:
- Valid U.S. driver’s license
- 18 years old or older
- Two or more years of fully licensed driving experience
- Clean driving record, with none of the following within the past (2) years: any suspension/revocation of license for reckless driving, hit and run, leaving an accident scene, failure to appear, DUI or other vehicle-related felony; or for multiple traffic offenses (2 moving violations/infractions in 12 months/3 moving violations/ infractions in 24 months) resulting in a Conditional Status driving record or subsequent suspension/revocation of license.
You are expected to drive defensively, be courteous, and obey all traffic laws. Additionally, you are required to:
- Restrict passengers to employees, students of the college, or other people on official college business.
- Make sure that everyone in the vehicle uses a seat belt while the vehicle is moving.
- Make sure that no one smokes or consumes alcohol in the vehicle.
- Lock the vehicle when not in use.
- Pay any traffic or parking fine resulting from driver negligence.
- Check oil and water levels regularly when on overnight trips.
- Report all accidents and damage to the vehicle to the Motor Pool office immediately.
- Complete all required accident reports and turn them in to the Motor Pool office.
- Return vehicles to the appropriate location on time and in a clean and presentable condition.
- Notify the motor pool office if the vehicle cannot be returned on time.
How to Get an Evergreen Use Permit
Before you can use a college vehicle, you need to get a Use Permit. You also need to renew this permit every two years. If you are involved in a crash with a college vehicle and are found at fault, we may revoke your use permit.
- Students need advanced faculty/supervisor permission to obtain a use permit. Have your faculty, supervisor, or Student Activities advisor send us an email ahead of time.
- Complete the Canvas Course.
Bring the completed release forms to the Motor Pool office, along with your valid driver's license and Evergreen ID.
When applying for a first time permit or renewing an expired permit, you'll need to sign forms authorizing us to see your driver's history report and acknowledging your responsibilities driving an Evergreen vehicle.